Chapter LX - Together

The stars were twinkling in the sky when you and Carlos returned from the field trip. After the two of you had left the room of the Great Dragon War, you didn't find anything significant to the prophecy. Miss De Liliare didn't seem to do anything suspicious and most importantly, there were no returning dragons. You would let out a silent sigh of relief, but Carlos's words still echoed in your head. He wanted to talk to you, a "heart-to-heart" conversation. Terms like that didn't exactly help calm your nerves.

Carlos offered his hand and you took it, wondering where he was planning to lead you. His white hair seemed to glimmer like waves under the moonlight, slightly glowing in the darkness of the night. "So, um," your voice seemed to quaver with nervous energy, "what did you want to talk about?" Carlos led you down a small path and stopped you by a tree not far from the Auradon track. You wondered why Carlos chose this spot. Knowing Carlos, you'd get your answer.

Carlos let go of your hand and ran his hand down the back of his head. A gesture, you noticed, that he did whenever he was nervous or about to speak of serious matters. "(Y/n)," Carlos faced you, "you seem distant lately." You thought back to the past days. You had been avoiding his questions a lot, you noticed. Both because you didn't want him to know you were thinking of him (you felt that you were being too obsessive) and because you didn't want to worry him about your worries.

"I know that I've asked you this before," Carlos's eyes held your gaze and you couldn't help but get lost in them. They were like the chocolate that he liked to eat: warm and sweet. "But, are you feeling alright?"

Your throat tightened and you tried to maintain a normal eye contact with him, but failed. Instead your eyes found their way towards the ground, the trees, and even the Auradon field. Images of the prophecy flashed through your head, horrid images. You remembered the painting that Professor Camilia had been encaptured by and the description under it. You could see the words on the plaque as they flashed through your head, and the story was impossible to forget. Judelia pulled her friend into a final embrace and killed her.

She killed her.

Who in their right minds would kill their best friend, even if it was for the sake of "good"? You knew you certainly couldn't, even if (b/f/n) had called you anything worse than "isle leftovers". She had still been your friend at some point. Those memories together couldn't have been fake.

With the thought of (b/f/n), the knot in your stomach was tightened triple-fold. It wouldn't even be too far of an understatement to say that all of the rock pokemon were nesting there.

She killed her.

Visions of losing your friends to death flashed through your mind, but you pushed them aside. Maybe it was better that Auradon banned a story in which the heroine had killed her best friend.

"I'm fine." You wanted it to come out confidently, but instead, your voice sounded like a whimpering puppy. Maybe you were trying to convince Carlos that you were fine, maybe you were trying to convince yourself. Either way, you could tell that neither of you believed that statement.

Carlos's eyes flickered with worry. To your surprise, he turned to pat the trunk of a nearby tree before saying anything. "This is the tree I went sprawling up after I ran across the tourney field away from Dude. That was when I first came to Auradon. I truly did believe my... my mother, when she told me dogs were rabid pack animals." His voice seemed to lower in confidence at the mention of his mother, but Carlos continued. "The point is that Auradon is a lot different than the Isle. In the Isle...communication is practically nonexistent. The strong devour the weak. You rule or be ruled. That policy was no different between parents and children, or even friends. I felt trapped. Whenever I was hurting, or even drowning inside, I couldn't tell anyone. I didn't have any real friends until Evie came along. My mother didn't care. Emotions were a sign of weakness."