Chapter LXI - To Like, To Love

A week had swiftly passed since the trip to the Historical Museum of Dragons, and you were surprised to find it quite uneventful. In this aspect, it made the days of the past week drag on, tensions and anticipations growing as a day's events pilled on the prior one's. Not to mention, after Professor Camilia had appeared at the museum with a strong suspicion towards Miss De Liliare, you couldn't help to keep an eye on your favorite teacher. You would be lying if you said it didn't bother you that both Cruella De Vil and Miss De Liliare both had "De" connecting their names. Or that there were two "l"s in Liliare and two "l"s in Cruella. Then again, you were probably just over-analyzing the situation. Their names could merely be a coincidence. Which is why you didn't tell anyone about your growing suspicion of Miss De Liliare. Fortunetely, she hadn't done anything in the past week. In fact, things had almost been going on a bit too perfectly, Auradon's "perfect world" sort of perfect. It unsettled you.

On the bright side, Team Descendants had made significant progress in training. You poured sweat and tears into the magic lessons (considering the lap you ran around the entire school campus before every meeting) and felt quite accomplished of everything you had learned in the past week. Currently, you were practicing with the girls on the ground of the used-to-be enchanted lake. Mal had decided to take the magic to a bigger and wider area since the magic practice had started to get intense. Sometimes you wondered if everyone was trying to kill each other.

"A whip to strike with all my might!" A handle formed in Evie's hand and she swing it at Lonnie who jumped away and rolled to the right. The ground where the whip hit had a small indentation where rocks had used to be and you couldn't help but wince. Lonnie, however, was already returning the favor.

She smacked the ground with both hands and spoke rapidly, "From earth a trail for rocks to hail!" Rocks and debris flew at Evie but she stood her ground and waved her hands in the air in front of her. Blue light shimmered and the rocks fell to the ground.

"Watch your opponent, (y/n)!" Jane shouted as vines sprouted and wrapped around your arms and legs.

"Wind of time see these vines unbind," you ducked to the side as the vines fell to the ground and Jane blasted her next spell. "Did you see what Evie did!?" You half spoke, half shouted to Jane. This caught everyone's attention and you all turned to see Evie smiling over Lonnie.

"I win this match," she sing songed.

"How did you do that," Lonnie breathed.

"What did she do?" Zylie asked.

"She made a protective spell without chanting," you piped up. "When Lonnie shot rocks at her. Which is dangerous, by the way."

"Hey," Lonnie protested, "All's fair in love and war. Anyways, it wasn't just that time. Evie did it multiple times throughout the battle."

"Well, I was testing something new," Evie admitted. She pulled a glowing blue ring of her finger. "I used chantry magic to enchant this ring to create a protective shield in front of me whenever I wave it in the air and think 'protego'."

"Protego?" Mal asked.

"Harry Potter reference," Evie replied. "Also, I thought that I could borrow some ideas from magic related books and shows so that's where the inspiration came from, I guess. The philosopher's stone reminded me that items can be enchanted, like the enchanted flower. I can only do small things though. I read up that chantry magic is limited in enchanting items since enchanting deals with more alchemy based stuff. Ingredients and all of that is needed for more complex things."

"You think you could make us all a ring?" Mal asked.

"I already did," Evie grinned, pulling out her purse. "I just didn't say anything till now since I wanted the glory." She handed out the rings and you noticed that the plastic gemstone on them was a dull gray color. However, as soon as someone put the ring on, it began to glow the color of their magic.