Chapter LIII | Simple Little Things

"(Y/n), wait up!" You turned and saw Carlos running up to you, the furs on his jacket quivering in the wind. You stopped and waited for him to catch up.

"What's up?" You asked him.

Carlos scratched the back of his neck, a light blush started on the tip of his nose. "Well, you see... We've haven't been spending that much time together, so I was wondering if you'd like to hang out a bit."

You blushed a bit. "Okay," you said. Carlos lightly took your hand in his and started leading you. "Where are we going?" You asked.

"You'll see," was Carlos's reply. You followed him, your hand in his warm ones, into the evening's cool breeze.

🌸Time Lapse🌸

You were sitting on a picnic blanket on a small hill overlooking the school forest. Carlos sat across from you, unloading things from the picnic basket. "I'm sorry if I seem to take you on a lot of picnics," Carlos apologized, his ears red.

"I don't mind," you said, giving him a shy smile. Why am I still so nervous around him? You thought. I guess that even though we both confessed, I don't want to mess anything up.

"So how was sword practice?" You asked Carlos, starting a conversation.

Carlos groaned, recalling the memory. "My arms haven't ached as much since the day my mom made me clean her car, fluff her furs, and sweep the house all in one hour. I wasn't even that good at it, even Doug beat me with one hit!" He sighed. "I am not a sword or any weapon type of person. I can't do those. Computers and programming on the other hand...So how was your magic lessons?"

"Everyone messed up Evie's hair besides Mal and Zylie," you said. "But on the bright side, all of us were able to use magic!"

"Really?" Carlos asked, "you should show me sometime."

"Maybe when I get better," you said, "right now I can only do simple spells like the hair changing spell."

"Speaking of simple," Carlos said, "I got you something."

"What? Why?" You asked. Don't get you wrong, a gift was nice, but out of nowhere?

"Don't think too much into it," Carlos said, flushing red. "I just wanted to do something small, but nice for you, so I got you this." He handed you a wrapped gift.

"Thank you," you said, taking the gift. You could feel your cheeks burning. Now I feel bad I didn't get him anything...

"You can go ahead and open it," Carlos said. You slowly unwrapped the present. Your eyes widened in surprise. It was (book/miscellaneous), the thing you had been wanting to (read/other activity) for quite some time now.

"Thank you so much, Carlos!" You squealed, engulfing him in a big hug. When you realized what you just did, you blushed and pulled away. "Thank you," you whispered again.

Carlos smiled at you, his freckles were like the stars in the sky: beautiful and numerous. "I'm glad you like it." He placed his left hand on your right and pointed to the night sky with his right hand. "Hey, can you guess what phase the moon is in tonight?"

You smiled, remembering the time he asked that question before. It seemed like years had passed since that moment, but in reality it had only been a few weeks. "I'm sorry to break it to you, but I do not remember the phases of the moon," you said, "I only know full moon and crescent, but I don't think those are correct."

"You are correct that you are incorrect," Carlos said. You playfully hit him in the shoulder. You looked at the night sky, how even in the darkness, there were light. There was still hope to the prophecy. There was still hope for (b/f/n). You would find out how to help her, and Carlos would be at your side.