Chapter LIX - The Historical Museum of Dragons

Your Social Studies class was tingling with both excitement and anticipation for the trip to the Historical Museum of Dragons. You could practically feel the jolts of energy in the musty air of the classroom; it bounced off every half-smile, grin, or laugh in the classroom. Nobody could forget the interaction between the two history teachers yesterday, including you. That place shouldn't exist in the first place, Professor Camilia's voice echoed in your head. It's a slaughterhouse, a representation of how cruel humanity can be. You frowned. If Professor Camilia, your prior and naive history teacher that loved to stress the great distinctions between "good" and "evil" thought that something "good" had was wrong, was it truly bad?

In addition, the name of the museum and how it seemed to connect to the line in the prophecy unsettled you. The dragon will find a way to escape. That definitely didn't sound suspicious at all. What if Professor Camilia was right, what if Miss De Liliare was a bad influence? What if she wasn't who she seemed?

Lonnie's theory wasn't helping either. "Oh my fairy godmother, what if someone stole the enchanted flower and enchanted lake water to resurrect one of the dragons that they have at the museum?"

You gripped your cross-body bag that you had stuffed with money and first aid materials nervously. If the prophecy were to occur in a foreign setting where you and Carlos were separated from Team Descendants, the safety and strength in numbers wouldn't be present at all. Your nervous tapping on the bag slowed as you spotted a speak of red, black, and white enter the classroom door.

"Carlos," you greeted, calmed by the sight of his warm eyes and dancing freckles. "Hi."

"Hey," Carlos greeted, scratching his neck. He shifted in place and you guessed that he was nervous too.

"Maybe Professor Camilia was over-reacting," you suggested, trying to ease the tension in the air. "I mean, remember how she practically started screaming at Miss De Liliare for teaching our class the perspective of evil?"

Carlos's lip curved up a bit at this remark, "She does like to over-react a lot to things like this, doesn't she?" You nodded in agreement, but couldn't help but to shift nervously once again. You weren't sure whether to voice your fears to Carlos or not since you didn't want him to be jumpier than he already was. If he likes me, I shouldn't be scared to voice myself, you thought to yourself. But then again, what if he doesn't love me? The both of you were in high school after all. Your feelings were both still developing and taking place. What if he just thought that he liked you, but in reality, it was just his brain acting up?

"(Y/n)." You blinked to see Carlos peering at you in concern, his chocolate eyes glistening. "You okay?" You nodded and broke your glance from his, looking away. You tried to concentrate on the wall of the classroom, the papers on Miss De Liliare's desk-anything to take your mind away from the prophecy or the boy you loved. Your heart was pounding in your chest, and you weren't sure if it was from your anxiety of the field trip or the fact that you were so close to Carlos.

"It's just...I've never heard Professor Camilia say something that sounded a bit rational," you spoke each word slowly, trying to figure out what you were trying to say. "I'm just a bit nervous," you told him. More than a bit, you thought to yourself, I'm nervous out of my mind. You felt Carlos grab his bag of supplies from a desk that he had placed them on.

"Well, we have to get going now," he said. Almost hesitantly, he added, "and if there's something on your mind, you can always talk to me, you know." He started to walk on without you but decided to stop and wait. Unfixing your stare at the wall, you hurriedly got next to him and snuck a glance at his face. Concern was splattered across his freckles, and you suddenly felt guilty about not telling him about your nervousness. Was he worried about you?