Chapter XXXVII | In the Night

"So how did it go?" Lonnie asked. She sat crisscrossed on her bed, nestled between her blankets and pillows. You drew the curtains to the dormitory windows together, covering the scene of the serene, blue night, with its stars twinkling in the sky.

"Maleficent is still there," you said, waiting for a reaction. Would she be shocked? Or not surprised at all? What exactly were you all looking for? Lonnie was not surprised.

"I knew it couldn't have been Maleficent," Lonnie said. "It just seemed too obvious. It has to be someone else." She paused for a moment. "What do you think, (y/n)?"

"I'm not really sure," you said. "Whoever this dragon is, how do we know they escaped already? What if they haven't escaped yet? For all we know, this prophecy might not even happen for hundreds of years!"

"But evidence points towards it," Lonnie stated. "The dried-up enchanted lake, the way Jay's been acting, and the way you say that (b/f/n)'s eyes are (b/f/e/c) instead of green and purple."

Jay's actions probably doesn't have anything to do with it, you thought. It was probably something Audrey's been saying to manipulate him. You didn't want to say this to Lonnie, because it was somewhat a rather touchy subject.

"Anyways, we can talk more about this tomorrow," Lonnie said. "You look tired, you could get some sleep."

"I could say the same to you," you told Lonnie, as she yawned.

"Lights out then," Lonnie replied, as you melted into the warmth of your bed and sleep took over.

You ran. As fast as your feet could take you. Past the brambles of the forest, the thick leaves, the dense foliage. You ran. Away the darkness and the loneliness. Away from the place you called home. "I never thought you would be such a terrible friend! How can you dump me for them!" (B/f/n)'a voice ran through your head. "Audrey is a much better friend than you are, I can't believe I didn't see it sooner." You ran. Away from the pain, from the words. But, they followed you. They always would. "From now on, you are nothing to me. You are Isle Leftovers! We are through. We are enemies." You ran. But you stopped.

You were standing at the enchanted lake, the water glistening and reflecting the stars above. Soft voices could be heard talking. On the other side of the lake, you could see two figures, sitting side by side. "Guess what phase the moon is in," one of the figures asked, and you realized it was Carlos.

"Don't get all scientific on me!" the other figure exclaimed. It was you, but not and the same time. Tears rolled down your cheeks. Running would be leaving these memories too.

"Don't you wish this could have lasted forever?"

You spun around suddenly, searching for the voice that came out of nowhere. (B/f/n) was standing there, a half-hearted smile on her face. 'From now on, you are nothing to me. You are Isle Leftovers! We are through. We are enemies,' she had said. "What are you doing here!?' You snarled, your voice more venomous than you thought it could be.

(B/f/n) gave you a bittersweet smile. "I don't have much time here," she said. "In fact, this is the last time I'll be able to talk to you." She closed her eyes, lost in thoughts. "I thought, maybe you'd listen if the scenery was more serene."

"Why should I listen to you?" You asked. "You didn't listen to me when I asked for a chance!"

"I'm sorry, (y/n)," (b/f/n) said, "I really am. But now isn't the time for that. I came to warn you. The time is coming, the prophecy is being fulfilled. Keep the rings safe. Keep your friends safe." Her eyes widened in fear. "I'm sorry, I don't have time." She sped up her talking frantically. " The dragon! The dragon has escaped. The dragon is-"