Chapter LVIII - Connecting the Dots

You couldn't believe how fast a week could fly by. Time seemed to past both quickly and slowly simultaneously. It was a weird feeling, as if time wasn't as smooth or perfect as may made it out to be; time had spurts of activity, points of drowsiness, and wrinkles in it. You frowned and shook your head off of such thoughts; maybe the stress was just getting to you.

After all, over the past week, you and the other girls had been practicing more and more spells and incantations every day. You were now moderately decent at making up your spells on spot. In addition to magic, Mal had also decided that it would be helpful to the group to get everyone's muscles working. Now the six of you would run a lap around the whole school before meeting in the secret room. Nevertheless, it was a tedious schedule compared to your previous lifestyle of lazying around at times and procrastinating on homework.

You inwardly sighed as you took your supplies out for Miss De Liliare's class. You had come a long way since the beginning of the quarter, you thought while marking the date on the top of your paper: Thursday.

"Hey." You jumped in your seat and turned to see Carlos grinning at you from behind, backpack on his shoulder.

"You scared me," you complained.

He scratched the side of his head and chuckled, "I originally wanted to see how long it took for you to notice me, but you were so deep in thought that I guess you didn't."

"Can't I at least have a warning next time?" You asked. You watched as Carlos slipped into his desk next to yours and get out his class supplies. His eyes are pretty, you thought distractedly as he scanned his backpack for a lost pencil. Like the warm brown hues of a fireplace's wood or the soft arms of a teddy bear.

"Earth to (y/n)," Carlos's voice snapped you out of your thoughts.

"Oh, um," you looked away embarrassed, "what did you just say?" Carlos chuckled and placed his found pencil onto his desk.

"I asked you what you were spaced out about earlier, but it looks like you were doing it again."

"Oh." They were two completely different things, you thought, your eyes trailing back to meet his curious brown ones. "I was just thinking of how this week passed by so quickly but slowly at the same time." The bell rang as soon as you finished your statement, and you turned to face the front of the classroom, disappointed that you couldn't gaze into Carlos's eyes anymore. Wait, what?

As Miss De Liliare gave her usual classroom announcements, you quietly rolled the pencil on your desk around. Sure you had gone on a date with him, and sure you had kissed him too, but you had never really stopped to consider exactly how you felt about him. You snuck a peak over at Carlos, watching him scribble some notes about what the teacher was saying and your heart skipped a beat. His black and white hair framed his face and highlighted his warm brown eyes. His freckles were scattered around his face, and you noted that they seemed to dance as his expression slightly changed to irritation as he made a mistake in pen and had to cross it out.

Oh my fairy godmother, you thought, forcing yourself to look at Miss De Liliare. I kissed him. The realization suddenly hit you like a really late reaction. I really kissed him and it wasn't a dream. You picked up your pencil and began to scribble unidentifiable shapes, your palms sweating. I kissed him, and I went on a date with him. You could feel your heart thumping in your chest. And I hugged him and I cried to him and he cried to me. You put your left hand over your right hand so that it would stop shaking. And I joked with him and he joked with me. You closed your eyes and opened them again, trying to not appear jitterish. The realization then hit you. And I don't want to lose him. You thought of (B/f/n) being torn away from you, the stab of hurt and betrayal that ran through your spine as she spat out poisonous words, "From now on, you are nothing to me. You are Isle Leftovers! We are through. We are enemies." You winced and stared down at your paper. I don't want to lose him like I lost (B/f/n). You thought of all of the times that you had been through together-the parental report, the night under the stars, the flight on the pegasus-you couldn't let it all account to nothing. I don't want to lose him, you thought, because I love him.