Guilty of Bliss

Author: marienggles

Genre: Romance

No. of chapter read: 3

First Impression: Wow, another story that tells me I should be an important CEO before turning thirty. My life is a failure unless I manage that like... really soon.

Cover: Is pretty and ethereal and reminds me of faeries. There are probably no faeries in the book, unless you count the pants wearing kind, maybe. No matter, like. Wait, why is that girl wearing shorts? Oh, crap, those are celebrities. Is this fan fiction and I don't know it?

Cover rating: It's adorable!

Blurb: So. much. purple. prose... But I can make out what's going on. Apparently guilt-ridden-girl is going to fall in love with very-rich-and-very-young-CEO. But wait, will she let himself love him and get over her guilt? Apparently she does for a while and then, when she's finally happy, the guilt returns out of the blue and ruins her relationship.

I felt like I already read the whole book. I already know what happens.

Blurb rating: Too much info.

Let's get it on!

Second impression: Ah, the world of the rich an famous without a care in the world except the problems they apparently make up.

Actual review (drum roll please):

Language: is not bad, but the description feels forced and tedious most of the time. Too. Much. Purple. Prose. Description of clothes, description of people, description of description... And telling, so much telling.

Word and grammar wise it's pretty clean. Can't complain.

Language rating: show me the money!

Plot: In case you didn't figure it out from the blurb, here it is: rich young CEOs are ridden by guild for some silly reasons and oh, no, can't fall in love. Bu wait, they do! And then their guilt kicks in and oh, no, they can't be happy. But then they are! Wow!

And I mean silly reasons. Take Selena. She's done absolutely nothing wrong, but she feels guilty that she dared be happy while her now dead relatives were struggling and were not as happy as her (since they were rich CEOs too). So, basically, she feels guilty about being human.

Patrick on the other hand is apparently obsessed with Selena and feels guilty about something his father did to Selena's family. We can all se how that's really his fault, the rotten bastard!

I know how the rest of the plot goes from the book.

Plot rating: I can see right through you!

Characters:

Selena: is supposed to apparently be a robot. Being human makes her a terrible person so she has to drink beer in the morning and be late to her best friend's wedding to make up for it. Selena is an overly dramatic excuse for a human being, with a pathological need for attention. Plus, she's a very young, successful CEO, of course.

Patrick: is a rich, good looking bachelor from the business world. The best and most important, of course. Everyone applauded his speech because he's just sooo awesome. And he's oh so conveniently obsessed with Selena just from seing her like omce before, a million years ago. He also feels guilty, because it's very fashionable.

He's a bit of a bitch with all his obsessing. And kinda creepy. Oh, please don't make him the creepy stalker kind...

Other characters: are obviously put there just to make the MCs look good. Though I have to admit I liked Pam. Pam rules.

Character rating: I feel guilty because it's awesome. I'm also a really young and beautiful billionaire.

Why I stopped reading: the story itself isn't bad, but the plot is too cliche for my taste. I've seem countless movies and read countless books starting off just like this: two jaded characters with a past they have to overcome in order to be happy. Oh, and they're millionaires or whatever. Plus, I'm not crazy about the woe is me characters either.

Grade: Fail. Just because everything has been done a million times before. Enjoy your awesome song.