The alcoholic Kittens

Alleluiah! Finally, I've managed to get this damn review out! Yaay! Praise Chuttulu. He expects sacrifice in the form of a small goat.

AuthorOverlordPony

Genre: Historical Fiction

No. of chapter read: 2.5

First Impression: Hippies! Hippies everywhere. And whoa! Historical Fiction? (I actually like well written historical, so you've got my attention)

Cover: Scooby-dooby-do, where are you? No, really, that's the freaking Scooby gang van! I approve. It's very '60-'70s. Even if it's a freaking cartoon cover, I actually kinda like it. Gives off a cool vibe.

Cover rating: Groovy.

Blurb: It's long. like much too long. And your hook? They pick up a girl? Really? And the grand conflict that must be solved is that she's only traveling to Santa Monica? My friend, your blurb does not make me want to read your book. The only interesting words I found in there are Vietmam War, Police baton breaking his teeth, Shag Wagon, LSD (this says things about me)... and that's about it. Seriously, this blurb makes the story seem monotonous as fuck.

Blurb rating: Shag wagon.

Let's get it on!

Second impression: How can police brutality be so boring?

Actual review (drum roll please):

Language/Writing: Is good. I'll give you that. You don't have major mistakes with grammar and punctuation, your sentences flow and you use era-appropriate terms. I don't have any form of criticism regarding your craft. 

But, and you must've known there'll be a but, I found the prose... extremely boring! I can't put my finger on it as to why. It just has this calm vibe that put me the hell to sleep. That's why it was SO hard for me to get this review done.

Language rating: You're good. I'm asleep.

Plot: You see, here's where things get difficult. And why you got the grade you did. As I mentioned above, the writing is really good. But, oh, I never thought I'd say this, but the plot is boring. Like I-don't-wanna-read-this-runs-and-hides boring.

There's this dude named Sebastian who gets beaten up by the police for looking like a hippie. Some other random dude helps him. The next evening, Sebastian and the new guy meet with Sebastian's friends who decide to form the Alcoholic Kittens (he he he) and go on tour with a Scooby Wagon that costs 500 bucks. 

They all get jobs for three weeks because the economy is that good, and they leave with the Scooby Wagon and reach the outskirts of Chicago where they get a gig and I was half asleep already. I see no conflict. Inner or outer. Just some weeders who wanna travel and sing and dream of big fame.

Plot rating: Zoinks!

Characters:

Sebastian: is a hippie. His face also hurts from getting beaten up by the police. His mom doesn't like him much. Can't say more about him.

Other characters: Are also hippies. Also, one of them doesn't drink for some reason. Can't say more about them. They dream big and want groupies and tons of weed probably.

Character rating: Jinkies!

Why I stopped reading: I'm sorry, but the story bored me to tears. I don't know why. Maybe I don't like hippies. Maybe I didn't see the conflict. Maybe I couldn't connect with the characters. Maybe all of the above. Yup, all of the above it is.

Grade: Fail. This is the first time I actually fail something which has good writing, but if the plot and characters don't hook me, I ain't touching that shit. If you like hippies and the raunchy atmosphere of the roaring '60s, maybe this book is for you. It's not for me. Objectively, this book is okay. My brutal bias, totally unwanted opinion? - yeah, you get a fail.

Song: Sorry, couldn't help myself.