Chapter 3: Calls

Daryl and I continued to talk for the next few weeks. We learned more and more about each other and I was glad that I could call him my friend. We even exchanged numbers last weekend because our messages were getting so long and we ended up talking on the phone all night long.

"You really think so?" I laughed.

"Ya' I seen it with my own two eyes." I giggled as Daryl tried telling me he saw a chupacabra in the woods one day.

"What the hell ya' gigglin' fer girl?" I loved hearing his voice. It was gruff and masculine. It was hard to believe that he was sweetest person because he sounded so intimidating.

"You're funny." I said hanging half way off my bed trying to reach my phone charger.

"Nah," he mumbled and I could tell he shrugged it off. I was a little upset that I still didn't know what he looked like. He's seen all my pictures and knows what I look like, and I really want to see him.

"Do you have skype?" I asked him, changing into my pajamas.

"What's that?" He asked.

"It's video chatting. I'd get to see you and you could see me." I plopped down onto my bed.

"Nah, I don't."

Crap! I was never going to see him and it made me a bit frustrated. Why couldn't he live closer to me?

"Oh, that sucks." I mumbled.

"What's wrong?" He asked. I didn't answer him. Daryl knew I was upset about not knowing what he looked like. "Ally-cat. What's wrong?" I smiled at the nickname.

"I wanna see you, Daryl." I whispered into the phone like it was a secret.

"I ain't much to look at. Wouldn't be worth it." He grumbled.

"You don't know that. That's just what you think, and what you think and what I think could be two totally different things. I highly doubt your bad looking." I admitted. Daryl had an attractive voice, and he was sweet. I had to assume that he looked good in person. I really wanted to see him.

"It's twelve o'clock." Daryl said.

"Yeah, and?"

"Ya' need to go to bed. Get some rest so yer' not all sleepy for work and you can focus on all those kiddos running around." I giggled. I could listen to Daryl talk all day.

"Alright. You have to hang up though." I told him getting comfortable in bed.

"I ain't hanging up till I know yer' asleep."

"Okay. Well, goodnight, Daryl." I said and closed my eyes, letting the phone on beside me.

I lay there for a good ten minutes, and I figured Daryl thought I went to sleep, but I was wrong.

"Can't believe yer' still awake." Daryl said causing me to jump a little.

"You scared me." I breathed out, rolling onto my other side.

"Go to sleep, Ally. No more talking, I mean it." He was very demanding.

"I am!" I growled and closed my eyes, letting darkness and dreams take over.

~

When morning came I had a text message from Daryl.

Morning, sweet pea! Have a good day. :) - Daryl

I blushed liked crazy and started getting ready for work. I took a picture of me in my pink dress and white pumps, and sent it to Daryl. He responded with 'Holy Hell,'.

As I drove to work that day I stopped and got breakfast at McDonald's because I woke up late and didn't have time to make something of my own.

I ate while I was driving and make it to the school just in time. I unpacked my things and settled in as usual before my boss and the principle of the school, Sue Jones walked in.

"Morning, Ally! Paychecks are in the office." She said before walking back out. "Oh thank you." I smiled and ran to the office quick. I grabbed my check went back to my library.

My paycheck was 703.91. I didn't really need the money right now. I had money saved up in the bank and since I lived alone, my living expenses were low.

I wrote Daryl back once I had a free moment.

Hey. Morning! Thanks. How are you? - Ally

I had a group of kids come in to check out books, so that kept me busy for a good hour. I helped kids find the right books, return some, even helped one boy read a more advance book for his age.

"Thank you Ms. Edwards!" They all said in unison before returning to their classroom. "You're welcome!" I smiled and gave them all a wave.

Right as the kids left my phone started to ring. I answered it without looking at the caller I.D.

"Hello?"

"Hey there, cupcake."

"Daryl..." I laughed. "Of course it was you calling me in the middle of the day."

"Just wanted to check up on ya'. Yer' day goin' okay?" He asked.

"Yeah. It's alright. Is your day okay?"

"Could be better. I'm covered in oil right now. Need a shower." He muttered and I heard something fall onto the floor in the background.

"What was that? Are you okay?" I asked immediately. I wanted to make sure he didn't get hurt.

"Yeah, it was just a wrench."

"Oh, okay."

"I'll call ya' later," Daryl said.

"Yeah, sounds good."

"Bye."

"Bye."

As I ended our call I felt sad. I wanted to see Daryl so bad, I really did. I was afraid that maybe he was hiding a secret from me and that's why he didn't let me see him. Maybe he wasn't confident with his looks or body, and I didn't want him to feel that way. I wasn't a model, and it was perfectly fine that he wasn't either.

*****
💚I know that it's just a lot of talking right now, but it will get more interesting, I promise. Thanks for reading and I love all your comments.

🌸Comment & Vote

Thanks ~ InSearchOfFlames 🔥🔥🔥