Chapter 3

"I...I did it..." I whispered. My weak smile turned into a sigh of relief. I felt dizzy, but my whole body was numb.

I was standing on the other post, the tightrope behind me. I was covered in the red substance I had become familiar with over this past month. It has been hard, but I was slowly adjusting.

I was still waiting for my parents, but I concentrated more on surviving. Rei has been a really big help. He really is like a big brother.

"Good job Emi! You earned twenty good girl points today. But you can do even better than that." I heard a voice from below.

"Yes Mama. I promise I'll do better next time." I replied. My vision was blurry, I could see dark spots on the corners of my eyes, but I kept smiling, because Mama doesn't like it when I frown. She says I look ugly and a doll is never ugly.

I jumped from the post to the ground, not landing properly and falling on my hands and knees.

"Get up. A lady is never on the ground." she growled behind me.

"Yes Mama."

I let myself be dragged forward, too weak for my body to respond. I couldn't wait to get to my cell and tell Rei how many good girl points I made.

I was finally thrown inside the cell, I pressed myself against the wall next to the bars. When I was sure Mama wasn't within hearing range I spoke up.

"Hey Rei, guess how many points I made..." I whispered as I closed my eyes.

"Same as yesterday?" He asked.

"No," I smiled proudly. "Twenty!"

"That's awesome! Still can't beat mine, though," he laughed.

"How many?"

"Fifty!" he answered.

"That's great Rei! But I'll reach you soon," I laughed softly.

We fell silent, my uneven breathing was the only thing heard inside the cold cell aside from the gentle sound of the rain falling outside. My body had started shaking from exhaustion.

"Are you okay?" he asked after about five minutes of silence.

"Yeah. I just need a shower," I answered.

"Shh. I think Mama's coming" Rei whispered. I closed my mouth and waited for the footsteps to be heard.

There they are.

"I have news!" she exclaimed from outside both cells.

"Tomorrow, both of you are going to perform together. It'll be a competition against other pets. You'll be using the tightrope, and since both of you already know how to do it, you better win." she finished and even though my eyes were closed I cowered against the corner at her strong voice.

"Yes Mama." we both said in unison. She lingered a few seconds before walking away. Immediately my eyes shot open.

"This is going to be so much fun!" the boy across from me squealed in delight. I on the other hand, could feel a wave of tears approaching.

"Rei...I-I don't think I can do this." I whispered. "I just learned today."

"Nonsense! You don't have to worry about a thing Emi! I'll protect you. That's what big brothers are for, right?" he smiled at me.

"I guess." I smiled weakly.

"Hey, we're going to win this, you'll see. And maybe you'll get fifty good girl points too!"