Chapter 9

"Do it again" Rei said quietly.

I didn't say anything, I just reached for the small hook next to the windmill and cranked it a few times. Immediately a beautiful melody rang from the small object in my hands, resonating through both our cells. We remained quiet, listening intently to the music. Once the sound slowed to a stop, I would crank it again.

The music was soft and soothing, like a fresh spring day. If you closed your eyes, the melody took you away from the cold cell, into a beautiful meadow covered in flowers, each one a different color. Rei and I were standing in the middle of the beautiful scene. We were both smiling, and than made me realize how long it had been since I genuinely smiled.

Mama was a hurricane, violently marking my life. Leaving everything in her path completely destroyed. With each wave, she took everything away from me, including my happiness.

"Again." his soft voice whispered. And I cranked it again. Not because I wanted to, but because that made Rei happy, as happy as he could be inside a dirty and dark cell.

Yesterday Mama came. It had been days since the whipping. The marks were still fresh and open. Each time I moved, it stung like I just bathed in lemon juice. She dropped a piece of meat on the floor of each cell and walked away. The meat was small, more or less the same size of my hand. It smelled exactly like the food sold in the underworld. I pushed it away, not really having any appetite after smelling it's putrid scent. Rei did the same with his piece, although the look on his face told me it wasn't the first time it's happened to him.

The meat still sits there at the corner of the cell, smelling worse than before. I've contemplated the idea of eating it just to get rid of the scent, but that would do me more harm than good. So for now I'll just keep cranking the hook on the windmill inside my hand.

Across the other cell, Rei hummed the melody. It was almost impossible to hear, but to me, the sound was even louder than the music box. It was sweeter and more calming than any sound the object in my hands could produce.

Rei was my music box. My source of happiness.

But if there's one thing I learned while being here, it would be that happiness doesn't last long. To prove my thoughts, I heard strong footsteps coming our way. I quickly put the small object at the farthest corner of the room, hoping the shadows would hide it.

I remained close to the cell bars, my stare was blank as I looked down the dark hall. The familiar huge figure finally emerged from the darkness, her signature grin which I've grown to hate was on her face. I shifted my gaze down at my bare thighs instead of looking at her, hoping she would just pass by.

Luck wasn't on my side, she stood right in front of my cell and unlocked it, opening the gate.

"My pretty little dolls, come with me. " she sang as she opened Rei's gate. I stood up with wobbly knees and followed her down the dark path with Rei trailing close behind.

We walked in a small room. It was totally empty except for the hose in the far corner. The walls and floor were all covered in different shades of blue tiles. Not one single window was visible, but the colors made me feel better than the dull grey of my cell.

The moment Rei stepped inside, he froze. His eyes were wide and I could tell he had stopped breathing. I furrowed my eyebrows and gently set my hand on top of his. His head snapped to me and his scared eyes told me I should run, but sadly that wasn't an option.

"Alright darlings, strip." Mama ordered once she closed the door. I didn't know what she meant until I saw Rei taking his clothes of hurriedly at my side. I stood shocked at the way Rei did it, without hesitation. My eyes traveled to Mama's and now I understood why he did it, because under her glare I felt the same urge to do it.