Chapter 5

I laid on the ground, a bloody mess on the floor. My chest heaved up and down at an abnormal rate. My limbs twitched, and with every movement came a new wave of pain.

My eyes stung. Dry tears marked my cheeks, cleaning the red stains they passed on. The pretty purple dress had been ripped open, leaving me bare inside that cold cell.

My throat was sore from screaming out. I had never felt more humiliated in my entire six years of living. Even though the pain was unbearable, the only thing on my mind was Rei.

I shook my head, trying to control the hiccups and the new set of tears pooling my eyes as unwanted memories seeped into my mind...

"Okay my little darlings. Are you ready for your surprise?" Mama said as she closed the gate behind my cell.

Rei was next to me, which I considered weird because his cell was just in front of mine. I didn't give it much thought and nodded eagerly.

"Alright" she sang and reached into the bag she had brought from the arena.

"I'm ready to try these babies out," she grinned at us and my smile faltered.

Gripped tightly inside her hand was a huge knife. On her other hand she held a rope.

My breath hitched as she turned to me. With every step she took, I took a step back until my back hit the wall.

"Mama?..."

She laughed and grabbed my ankle, raising it up and knocking me upside down, my leg still on her grip.

My cheeks went red as I struggled to hold my dress down. Mama grabbed the rope and tied it around my ankle. With the other end of the rope she wrapped it around some sort of hooks in the ceiling.

After she tied it, she stepped back. I was hanging upside down, my hands doing my best at holding my dress in place.

Mama clicked her tongue and with the knife she sliced my dress open. I gasped as the cold air slapped my body, sending shivers through me. I felt a burning sensation on my ankle and tried to wiggle out of it, immediately stopping when the rope tightened even more.

"There, we don't need that," she said kicking the dress to the side. I looked to Rei, whose eyes told me the surprise wasn't like we thought it would be.

"My pretty little doll..." she turned to Rei. He gulped and took a slow step back.

Mama reached out and combed her fingers through his hair. "You did well today," she finished and grabbed another rope.

"Thanks to you, Mama got new toys!" she flicked his nose and he tensed.

"I wanted to make you proud," he whispered and his watery eyes fell to his feet as the rope was being tied around his wrists, keeping them together.

"You did," Mama answered as she tied the other end of the rope to the roof. Rei gasped in surprise as his feet left the ground.

I could feel the pressure on my head. The blood was making me have a headache.

I struggled to keep from screaming. The rope at my ankle had been tied so tight I could feel it constricting and burning my skin with every small movement I made.

"I've been waiting for this!" Mama said admiring the huge knife. "I had to play some difficult numbers to get it. It's made from quinque metal, ya' know" she grinned and stood right in between us two.