Chapter 59

PREVIOUS TRIVIA: Who hates mosquitoes the most?

Answer: Shin

Well, who doesn't hate mosquitoes? But Shin hates them the most because they're annoying and don't let him sleep, which is his favorite hobby XD.

Jiro comes in a very close second, but I'd say he's more scared of them. Because being scared of snakeu doesn't mean you hate snakeu (anyone get the reference? :")

~~~~~~~~~

An unbearable silence hurled through the empty hallways of Big Madam's residence. The obscure passageways were as cold as ever, urging anyone who crossed them to turn away and flee as two sets of nimble feet quietly raced their way through them.

Rei's heart was ripping through his chest, a feeling so foreign that he had to stop to take a deep breath. He hated it. Hated the way his lungs constricted and his throat tasted of rusty metal. He absolutely despised the weak feeling in his legs as he pushed forward, and he definitely hated the way his teeth would clatter with every rising breath.

He could barely get a grip, and with each passing second he found himself regretting taking a step out of his cell without permission. The cold sweat building up in his hands and trickling down his neck, he hadn't felt it in a long time.

His blood red eyes shot at every direction as a hand was kept close to the wall. The humid surface stuck to his skin as he raced through, almost begging him to stay. In his other hand a piece of old plastic was tightly gripped, the only thing urging him forward.

A glance at the different hallways that sprouted from the one he was crossing reassured him that all the lights were off. It was a good sign, but still not enough to calm his erratic heart.

He passed by the washroom, suddenly remembering Emi when she first arrived. The image of Big Madam forcing the hose down her throat burned at his eyelids, forcing him to look away as he left the memory behind like the countless others he'd passed.

Several twists and turns were made before he finally came across the door leading to the outdoor training grounds. His heart jumped as he forced his barefoot limbs to quicken their pace. He could actually make it, tonight he would leave the wretched place.

The door let out an unwanted screech in protest as it was pulled open, making Rei's movements freeze for a split second before he reached back, grabbing onto a hand bigger than his and pulling it forward.

"It wasn't supposed to make that noise." He breathed out, eyes wide as he sprinted through the grounds. His gaze flickered to the center, barely seeing the tightrope thanks to his speed.

He sprinted around the huge structure, feet clinging to the wet grass under his feet as he pulled the hand forward.

"You're out of breath, calm down." Ayato's whisper cut through the thick, cold breeze.

Rei snapped his bloody gaze toward the older, for a split second showing how desperate he really felt.

"It wasn't supposed to make a noise, Ayato." He muttered as he pulled the male toward the gate at the end of the grounds. "I've been in and out that door countless times and it has never creaked. It's-"

Suddenly he felt his body being pulled back by a strong force. His whole system froze as his wide eyes turned back.

"Rei, calm down. You're rambling." Ayato muttered, squeezing his shoulders as he gave the younger a firm shake. "We're almost there."

Rei sighed, nodding slightly as he gulped. His gaze fixed on the gate a couple of feet away as he reassured himself.

They were almost out. It was only a matter of time until he saw his Emi.