Chapter 83

Previous trivia: Who's favorite color is gold?

Answer: Shin

I think Shin's personality fooled most of my readers ;) Yes, he's mainly presented as dark, and this is entirely correct. Shin should not be associated with anything bright, his light is projected through the rest of the elites.

However, he's extremely observant and perceptive, and has a keen eye for detail. That's why the brightness of gold draws his attention so much, it captivates him.

That, and it reminds him of Jiro ;)
~~~~~

Ryuu's bones vibrated under his skin, almost mimicking the rapid movements of the ground each time a new explosion detonated. His muscles felt like a piece of stretched gum, and the blood splattered all over his body held the weight of a thousand rocks against his skin.

Thick curtains of smoke enveloped every inch of the room, the kind of vapor that made his lungs scream out in agony, and his eyes turn to waterfalls. It was nearly impossible to see coming whichever rabid beast charged at his intoxicated body.

His pocket was nearly empty now, only a few needles dancing between the worn out threading. The sang a cheerful tune, basked in the joy of upcoming death, eagerly waiting for their master's warm embrace, soon to be fused with a crimson sea of fresh blood.

Ryuu, however, was not so cheerful. His movements had become sloppy, his lungs fighting against his orders as he tried desperately to hold on to whatever oxygen remained in the air. But his throat burned like a wildfire, and his vision would blur from his eyes' constant attempts at purification.

"Jiro, watch out!"

Emi's sore voice reached the lilac haired boy's ears, and he managed to turn around merely a split second before a tail-like limb zoomed just above Jiro's head, crashing into the nearest wall as a burst of concrete tainted the air around him.

A needle flew across the air, burrying against soft flesh as the agressive figure slumped to the ground. Almost immediately Ryuu cut his way towards Jiro, pressing their backs together as both their chests swelled with each desperate intake of air.

The action was as a beg for support, masked behind the offer for cover, but neither figures dared speak a word of it. Their bloodshot gazes were locked in front, looking for any figures concealed under the smoke.

Sweat trailed down Jiro's toned, shaky muscles, accounting for a lack of grip on his handgun. His long fingers were stiff, his neck following suit as he tried to keep his golden gaze on Emi's figure just a few feet away.

"You guys aren't escaping that easy! If this is the end, it'll be for all of u-!"

A flick of Emi's wrist kicked the trinity reaper into action, the almost invisible drop of liquid piercing right through the ghoul's chest. Immediately, a spray of crimson painted the walls as brain matter flew everywhere, tainting the air and those who breathed it in.

"If we don't get out of here now..." Ryuu's voice sounded foreign even to him, an uncharacteristic tiredness laced within it.

"I know." Jiro panted, pulling the trigger before exchanging his empty round for a full one.

Ryuu pushed off the blond's back just in time to spin-kick an incoming aggressor, sending him back with the force. They were battling ghouls, however, and he barely managed to dodge the swing of the kagune. The bodily weapon sliced it's way across Ryuu's calf, making him tumble to the ground.

"Fuck." Jiro's voice bleared as Ryuu was hastily pulled up by the collar of his shirt.

"They're ghouls! Don't charge into their fighting range." The blond attempted to smack Ryuu's head clear, but the smoke had already made its way into the deepest parts of his conscious. Thinking straight was neither a priority nor a possibility.

Whichever incoherent excuse Ryuu was attempting to conjure got silenced when the pair almost got knocked off their feet as the wall next to them was obliterated into a million tiny pieces. A foreign force managed to pull the two stunned boys into the dust cloud, just on time to hide themselves from the group of doves that stormed in.

A small hand gently squeezed the pair's own, letting them know it had been Emi who concealed them beneath the smoke cloud. However, it was evident that the cover would last no more than a few seconds, and before Ryuu could even realize what he was doing he ducked inside the huge space where the wall previously sat.

Jiro and Emi followed suit, the rush of adrenaline pumping through their veins serving for fuel as the three took off down the foreign hallway.

Only when they were a safe distance away from the madness of the previous room, they allowed themselves to take a quick breather.

"Ryuu, are you okay?" Jiro spoke between laboured intakes of air.

The lilac haired boy nodded, completely disregarding the torrent of blood that flowed from his calf. He was okay. He was going to be okay.

"Ryuu." Emi mumbled, the harsh ripping of clothing scratching their ears as she tied what had previously been the bottom of her shirt around the boy's muscle. "Don't be so reckless next time, okay?"

"Did I scare you, princess?"

Perhaps it was the feeling of upcoming fear that triggered Ryuu's need to disregard the seriousness of the situation. He refused to acknowledge the screaming of his muscles, he would not consider for a second that maybe this was the end of the line for them.

With one fourth of the elites completely missing, and the other three reduced to a pile of exhausted limbs, denial was all he had left.

"The only thing scary around here is your face." Emi popped her sore joints, looking off at every direction before realizing she did not know where she was.

She looked down at her wrist, where the trinity reaper sat, nearly empty. If she was lucky, she could squeeze in at least two more shots before she completely ran out of ammunition.

"How's your ammo store?" She asked Jiro.

"Just enough." He held a thumbs up for the other two, the brightness of his smile being the only thing pushing them forward, even if it looked a little bit forced.

"Can you move, Ryuu?" The blond's gaze trailed gingerly over the open gash on the younger's calf, the wound still oozing a dark red that made the clothes stick to his skin like glue.

"Of course." Ryuu assured, shaking his wounded leg as proof, only for Jiro to stumble back against the opposite wall, a desperate glow shining in his hazel eyes as he dodged the messy droplets that flew in the air.

"Don't fucking do that again."

"Sorry if my body fluids disturb you, blondie. My method of overcoming this type of thing is called balls."

The lilac haired boy pushed himself off the wall, rolling his neck before weighing himself on his good foot.

"You should grow some."

And with that, Ryuu took off down the hallway, with no real course or destination on his mind, yet knowing that nothing they could plan out could save him from what he was soon to encounter.

~~~~~~

Oh boy. I've already written three chapters ahead and I'm on the verge of a mental break down :")

If I suffer, you guys will suffer with me >:v

Trivia: Who's favorite color is purple?

A. Jiro
B. Shin
C. Ryuu