Chapter 27

Buzzing....

All I could hear was a horrible buzzing sound ringing through my ears as I slowly regained my senses. I squeezed my eyes shut, attempting to block the annoying sound, but it just brought a new wave of dizziness over me.

My body felt weak, numbness eating away at my limbs as I tried to move, immediately freezing to a halt when I felt daggers shooting up my body.

A quiet yelp left my lips as I clenched my teeth, feeling the bones digging into my skull as I tried to calm the pain down. The next thing I noticed was the burning pain around one of my arms, legs and neck.

What happened to me? Why am I so beat up?

Suddenly a clear voice rang through my ears making me freeze.

"Do you even know what happened to her?" Ryuu's distinctive soft voice caught my attention.

"Yeah..." Another voice, a deeper one, followed. "She must've panicked and tried to climb the hedge. Those things are full of barb wire. Not only that, if you pull one of the wires from the middle it will trigger a bolt of electricity though the whole hedge. She must've been already halfway up the thing before she coiled herself around them, and since she pulled more than one, the bolt was stronger."

"That would explain her ears and mouth bleeding." Ryuu hummed in response.

"She must've fallen off the hedge too, the wires were too deep into her skin." Shin sighed.

I cracked one eye open at a painfully slow rate, doing my best to adjust to the lighting in the space which I immediately recognized as the bedroom. The next eye slid open as well, trying to study my surroundings.

The first one I caught sight of was Shin who leaned against the wall next to me, one foot crossed over the other as he spoke. His body seemed tense, his jawline even more prominent as he clenched it. One finger tapped repeatedly against the wall behind him, showing he was either uneasy about something or he was lost in his train of thoughts.

Ryuu was sprawled on a random mattress, his gaze seemingly lost as he looked deep in thought also. The boy's limbs were spread apart as his chest rose and fell at a slow rate. He was shirtless, bandages covering most of his arms and chest although he didn't seem to mind them.

The last one was Jiro who was at the farthest mattress from us, his eyes closed as he seemed to be sleeping.

Looking down at myself I noticed my whole body also covered in bandages, although mine had blood staining the surface already. I coughed in surprise, accidentally alerting the other two boys of my state.

"She's awake." Shin mumbled.

"You don't say?" Ryuu smirked as he sat up, leaning his weight back on his hands. "You finally did your job in telling us. Points for Shin."

"Shut up."

With his hands up in surrender Ryuu slowly got to his feet and walked over to the other side of my mattress, casually leaning one shoulder against the wall as his lilac eyes connected with mine.

"So, Emi... Remember anything from last night?"

I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to read what he was getting at. Last night? Where was I last night?

Suddenly the memories flooded my brain as a look of recognition shone in my face. Images of tall green flora surrounding me invaded my mind. I remembered everything, from the metal square, to the dead ends and the sun setting behind the mountains, leaving me in complete darkness afterwards.