Chapter 63

The bedroom had pretty much remained the same as when I arrived a couple of years back. Madam A made sure to keep the elites and the regular batches on different rooms, claiming it was not a good idea to have me around her batches. Dusty beds lined the walls with little to no sheets, mysterious stains scattered across mattresses that could very well range from a blood stain to some sort of fecal matter, you could never be too sure. The thick smell of humidity still danced around my nostrils with every breath. Unknown spots covered the ceiling and floor, just waiting for Shin to wake up so they could be counted over and over again.

The only new thing was the small windmill right at the corner of the room. Despite it's small appearance it made a drastic change to the scenery and I often caught myself staring without even realizing. Just the thought of setting my hands right where Rei once had sent a jolt of electricity through my being.

The rest of the elites were also mesmerized by the dusty object. Often I would catch Jiro staring at it, seemingly lost in thought. Ryuu would sneakily glance at it's direction, for some reason looking like the windmill would explode at any given second.

And Shin, well... he had woken up a couple of times these past few days. Only for a couple of seconds, though. He didn't seem to take notice of our presence, he simply groaned in pain and clutched his stomach before falling into deep slumber once again.

I don't know how much longer Ryuu can keep patient. His nails were almost nonexistent by now and his bags were so prominent it was almost scary to watch. His appearance resembled more of a walking corpse than a 15 year old boy. He didn't talk as often as he would before and limited himself to hover over Shin's bed, waiting for him to wake up.

I had to turn my gaze away sometimes. Ryuu's pain was contagious, like a deadly plague.

"Hey Emi!" I heard the familiar cheery voice of a blond boy calling my name. He was hunched over his bed with a bunch of tools I couldn't even name, fidling with a strange object in his hands.

Jiro had been doing the exact same thing for the last couple of days, working on what I guessed was a new weapon. He'd made some sort of a makeshift workshop on his bed, refusing to leave Ryuu alone for a second in his current state even if that meant he had to work uncomfortably.

"What's up?"

He flashed me a blinding smile before beckoning me closer.

"C'mon, right here." He patted the spot next to him. "Crisscross applesauce! I need to show you something."

I laughed, following his orders and taking a seat with my legs tucked under me right beside him.

"Wanna see something cool?" The grin on his face was so contagious I found myself holding back another wave of laughter as I nodded eagerly.

He stretched his open palm to me, letting me see a small black box with a thin tube hanging from it. It was compact enough to fit inside his hand, only the tube extended a little more.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's called the Trinity Reaper. Yeah, I know, bomb ass name right?" He smirked before taking my hand and hovering the small black box over the inside of my wrist. Immediately a thin string shot from inside the box, wrapping itself around my wrist before connecting to the inside once again. The strap was so thin it was practically invisible.

"Trinity Reaper? What does it do?" I hummed, turning my wrist in every angle to see how much mobility it gave me.

"Glad you asked! Although I was gonna tell you anyway." Jiro huffed proudly before continuing.

"This box shoots a small, bullet-like sphere that, when in contact with RC cells, expands and explodes your brain. You can use it on ghouls and humans alike." He answered excitedly.