Chapter 14

VERY IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT THE END!

Today was a new day. New clothes, new praises, new cheers, and of course, new victims.

I was currently sitting on the floor of a dimly lit room, my hair set up in two low pig tails and the skirt of my red dress clenched inside my fists. I waited excitedly for my name to be called, a smile etched into my face and my eyes as wide as saucers.

The sweet tune of the music box left my lips in hums, every sound emmited by me matched identically with the beautiful song of the windmill, even though the object was far from my grasp.

Of course it was far away, I was at the restaurant, after all...

I remember my first time in the restaurant. I remember not knowing what I was supposed to do, or why we'd been put to fight with people instead of animals like in the circus. But now it's clear to me as a fresh sunny day...

We were here to kill.

I remember the first time I did it. The first time I saw a person slump to the ground by my hand. I remember throwing up back in the cell, and I remember what Mama did to me because of that.

"Emi?" I looked up to see a pair of blood red eyes similar to mine staring down at me. "What are you doing on the floor?"

"I'm waiting."

"But why down there?"

"Why not?" I smiled at him and patted the spot next to me. His eyes shifted from the area to me, and after a few seconds his body slumped next to mine.
"So how long is it going to be today?" he asked, the ghost of a smirk present on his lips as his eyes went down, focusing on his interlaced fingers.

"Eight minutes?" I answered.

"We did eight the last time! We can do way better than that."

"How about five?"

"Three," he said, finally facing me. His challenging smirk spread even wider.

"Three..." I hummed, a smirk of my own appearing on my face. "Three it is then."

"What are you two blabbering about?" a third prescense stepped inside the room. Instinctively my posture straightened and my gaze met the floor.

"Nothing Mama."

"You better not get distracted today and make me look bad. I want you two giving it your all, or they'll be consequences."

"Yes Mama."

"Good, now get up. It's starting."

I immediately scrambled to my feet and followed Mama out of the room and into a dark hallway, Rei trailing close behind. A familiar feeling rose inside my chest and a small smile stretched across my face.

We stopped walking in front of a black gate, Mama nodded in both our directions before dissapearing into the shadows.

This was usually when the restaurant introduced the fresh meat. I waited patiently, my hands going back to clutch the red fabric.

The sound of cheers soon reached my ears, my heart leapt inside my chest at the sound.

It's time.

"Three minutes?" Rei said beside me, a determined smirk graced his features.

"Three minutes."

And with that, the gate slowly started rising.

The familiar scene of blood stained floors and rows beyond rows of fancy dressed people greeted me once again, and for a few seconds, I did feel at home.