I Wish You Would Love Me The Way I Love You

In this particular story, I am going to insert a poem I wrote about my friend. So, in case you didn't figure this out, I write poetry. Also in this story, you know how you say I love you to your friend, yeah. It's just like this. And one more thing, I just think 'Impossible Year' explains it all. Anyways, enjoy!

-

"Hey, Nat. What's up?" Patrick says as he approaches me at my locker. "Uh, hey Patrick." Patrick gives me a stern look. "Patrick? You haven't called me by my real name in... Four-Three years? What happened to Trick, Trickster, Rick?" I shrugged my shoulders. "Sorry. Are we still on for our weekly movie night tonight?" Patrick smiled and nodded. Then, his smile faded. "Wait- I'm sorry. I'm going on a date with Jennifer." I sigh and turn back to my locker obviously annoyed. "Hey look, I'm sorry but we've been planning on going to this amazing restaurant for two months." I continue putting stuff into my backpack. "I'm not mad because you're going on a date, I'm mad because you could've let me know sooner. You never missed our movie night in four years and suddenly you make rain checks to go out with your girlfriend every weekend. I barely see you in a day, let alone a month." Patrick rolls his eyes hesitantly. "I'm sorry, but I love her. You'll understand when your in love." I look at him with a dead cold stare. And that's when the tears start falling. Patrick's facial expression softens. I enclose the deep stare. As I close my eyes, I can feel the warm tears slowing trailing down my face. I slam my locker and run home. "Natalie! Natalie, come back! I'm sorry! I-I'm sorry." Patrick's voice is slowly fading away the further I sprint away from him.

I run into my room and slam the door. I am both furious and devastated. I wish he knew the truth. I want to tell him, but it can go south really fast. Buzz. Buzz. I check my phone and see a text notification reading "Trick🙈". I close my eyes feeling more tears flow down my face in a consecutive pattern. I unlock my phone and read the text message.

Trick🙈: I'm sorry. I love you.

I cry more and more. I have to tell him, but I don't want him to see me cry. I guess, I'll just write him a letter. Doing things over text always ends up going downhill.

-

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I can barely open my eyes because they are dried shut. I rub my eyes in attempt to make it easier to open, but no luck. Oh well, I'm not going to be at school for long. I get ready in less than thirty minutes because no matter what I do, it's not going to change the fact that I look like cried myself to sleep. Which I did indeed do. I simply just put on jeans and a grey hoodie. I grab the letter and make my to school. I plan on getting there early, doing what I have to do, then leaving.

I get to the high school and make my way towards Patrick's locker. I look at the note. I press it to my heart, feeling the flow of tears slowly approaching. I hear the bell ring and I see kids slowly fill the halls, getting ready for 1st hour. I shove the note into Patrick's locker and I hurry out of that place. Before I leave I see Patrick hugging Jennifer before she enters class. A tear streaks down my face. Before he can see me I run out.

Patrick's P.O.V
I feel so terribly bad for what I did to Natalie. I shouldn't have ditched her for Jennifer. She hasn't talked to me since yesterday. It broke my heart to see her crying. I tried to run to her, but Jennifer called for me. I'm just scared that she'll hate me forever. She's my best friend. I never thought that I can have a best friend relationship with a girl, but I thought wrong. I regret everything I did to her.

"Will you walk with me to lunch today?" Jennifer asked. I nodded. She reached her arms out for a hug and I accepted it. Even that couldn't get me out of my mopey mood. "What's wrong, babe?" I let go of her and put on a fake smile. "Nothing. I'll see you after class." I walked away from Jennifer and to my locker. When I opened it, I saw something fall out. I reached down and looked at it. It's a letter saying my name, "Patrick". Well, Obviously.

Dear Patrick,
When I see a shooting star, I think of you. Because stars will always be there for me. But you never got a clue. Maybe when I said I love you, maybe I really did mean I Love You. I want to tell you how deeply I truly love you, but I'm afraid I can't. It'll ruin our long talks and our friendship. I don't want us to end like this. It's hard to see you with someone else that you love. And if I wasn't so scared, it could've been me. I wish love was easy and I wish love was fair. But if I was easy, then what's the point? No one would care. I sit hear listening to how much you love her. Sometimes I wish I was her. I know I can't always get what I want, I never do. All I want is for you to love me, they way I love you.
Yours Truly,
Nat.
I reread every sentence continuously. Natalie loves me? I stand here gazing at the letter when the bell rings. Fuck, I'm going to be late for class. I put the letter in my back pocket, grab my class supplies and walk to class.

Natalie has been on my mind all day. I haven't been able to focus. I noticed she isn't here today. She must've came earlier. Once the 7th hour bell rings, I walk out of the high school as fast as I can. I get in my car and drive to Natalie's house. I'm not sure what I plan on doing. I just need to talk to her. As I'm driving to her house, I start to feel guilty telling her all the things I love about Jennifer. If anything, it's my fault. Natalie wasn't anything, but a good, trustful friend. The best person I could ever ask for.
No matter how annoyed she got, she still listened. She gives me all this advice on dates and stuff even when she's suffering. I've broken her heart slowly. She is just an innocent butterfly, but I had to go and rain on her wings and now she feels like she's hit rock bottom. What have I done?

I'm caught in my thoughts and before I know it I'm in her drive way. I rethink everything that I just thought. I am slowly hating myself for doing this to her. If anyone hurt her, then I'd beat them up. But I never thought I'd have to beat up myself. I love her- wait. I love her. I really do love her. I never recognized it until now. I'm am so deeply in love with her. I'm head over heels in love wth her. Oh my god. I can feel my cheeks heating up and my heart beating faster by the second. This is it.

I walk out of my car and to her front door. I knock hesitantly and wait to see my true love. I hear her unlocking the door. Once I see her face, I can obviously see she's been crying. I hurt her. I made her cry. I don't know if I can handle this. She looks at me with her beautiful brown eyes.
"Hello..."
"Hey..."