Chapter 34: Break Free

"Why are you walking away?" Jerome yelled going after Eily. She just fled from the parking area as she couldn't bear being alone with him after what she had said and done. She could only hide her face in shame.

"Stop following me!" she blurted as she continue walking. "Why you do this to me, Andrew? Yeah, I know I made you upset but I don't deserve to be embarrassed again in front of this guy." she muttered.

"Even if I want to, I can't." he countered.

"Didn't you come for Andrew? Why didn't you go with him?" she retaliated without looking back at him.

"I actually came to see you. He's so madly in love with that one girl so why would I waste my time on him?"

She halted abruptly yet fighting the urge not to slue. Her forehead furrowed and because she stopped, he's bumped into her.

He burst out laughing and took the opportunity to overtake and block her way. "Gotcha!"

She glared at him.

"Why giving me that look?"

"So you would rather waste your time on me?" she folded her arms. "If you came here just to make fun of me, go ahead. You may throw eggs on me if you want too."

"What are you saying? I'm not here to mock you."

"Then what's your intention? And today is your flight, isn't it?"

"Yeah, that's why. I want to see you before I leave. I don't want to leave having misunderstanding between us. Like, you thinking I started avoiding you since that night. It's just that I don't have courage to face you until now."

She looked down. "Why suddenly you're talking to me like that?"

"Even if you're drunk when you said those to me, you blew me away and I took it to heart. After that, not a single night I wouldn't think of it. I never felt this way before."

She was speechless.

"For now, I have to say goodbye. I won't say I hope because I'm sure we'll see each other again when I come back."

She felt like crying but holding those tears back.

"Please wait until I return." he put her in an embrace. It was an awkward one yet he found peace he was looking for. "You made my vacation worthwhile. Thank you." he then released her. "I have to go, bye for now!"

She stood there rooted on the ground and still not looking into his eyes.

"I'm not used to you being quiet but if you go after me at the airport to say something, don't do that."

"Why?" she unconsciously asked suddenly.

He smiled sheepishly. "I'll be on trouble. I may not finish my master's degree."

"What does that have to do with what I'm going to say if that would be the case?"

"I may change my mind and stay." he hailed the cab that timely halted in front of them. "Sorry, I really have to go. Take care!" then he opened the door and the cab pulled off with him waving at him through the window.

And she waved back.

......

Andrew was indivertibly brooded about Rees' behavior. She suddenly became that sweet that he didn't see coming. They were strolling down the crowded sidewalk nearby the well-known esquinita. It was her suggestion to go on foot so they brought home his car first which he gladly agreed with.