Chapter 22: The Puzzling Message

Chapter 22: The Puzzling Message

Rees was staring blankly into space.

“Rees?” he called.

“Ugh, yes sir?” she snapped to attention.

“You’re zone out. Are you okay?”

“Ugh yes, I’m okay. Where are we going and what is it that we’re going to talk about, sir?”

“Sir?” he sighed. “I told you, we’re just in a car not office.”

“Oh. Sorry, so Trevor then. Where are we going?”

“Hmm, about that...” he took a glimpse at her and noticed her sleepy eyes. “Hmm, maybe some other time I guess. Let’s just call it a day. I’ll just drop you home.”

“Oh?”

“Yes, a sudden change of mind. I’m sorry if I’m being callous to bring you with me. You looked so tired.”

“No, I’m not.”

“You are.”

“But... uhm, so if there’s nothing to be discussed, you can just drop me by the bus stop.”

“No.”

She heard a commanding tone so she did not talk back.

“Which road will we take next?” he asked when the traffic light went red, they’re close to the intersection.

“Turn right.”

......

“Thank you for taking us back, Dennis.” Eily said.

“No problem. I was doing it when I was courting Lia, what’s more, she’s my girlfriend now. It’s my duty now.” He’s holding Lia’s hand who’s just standing there, blushing.

Eily pursed her lips. “Lia, have you drunk lots of wine? Your face is so red.” as she shook her head. “Shall we go in?”

“Wait.” Dennis tightened his hold. “How about my good night kiss babe?” he said coyly to Lia.

Lia gave what he wished.

Eily rolled her eyes. She’s becoming disgusted by their overt affection.

......

Jerome was driving Andrew to his unit. He couldn’t let him drive alone due to the amount of liquor he has consumed. While they were on their way, Jerome got a call from Trevor asking if he’s already home.

“Ah, I’m still with Andrew, Trev.”

From his dizzy state, Andrew straightened up and got alerted.

“Are you still with Rees?”

“Oh, Okay then. Drive safely.”

“Yea.” Then he removed the earpiece.

“What? Is Rees still with him?” Andrew was jolted.

Jerome regarded him with a serious look. “He took her somewhere and said he’s not going home tonight.”

“What!?” his voice’s tone up.

Jerome held on the steering wheel. “You’re scaring me!”