Chapter 13: Heart-struck

Rees notified Lia through text message about her leaving when she's already sitting comfortably on the bus. She was halfway to her destination. Lia was a bit down by her snap decision. Meanwhile, Eily was lost in thoughts. She’s aware that it’s not only for family affair why she suddenly wanted to go. It’s apparent to her that Mr. Kim reminded her of ‘him’.

"Hey, are you listening?" Andrew flipped his fingers. "What are you thinking?"

"Oh, sorry, what are you saying?"

"Hmmm..." he sat straight. "Do you have a problem?"

"Uhm, me? I don't have, but I know Rees has. Andrew..." she paused. "Be her solace."

His brows wrinkled. His mood changed afterwards. He was alerted by her seriousness.

"She may act so cheerful but she’s still bearing the burden of her past. She’s still suffering from it."

Andrew became agitated. "Then we should've not let her go by herself. Can we go back?"

"Man, relax. Rees can handle it alone, well, I'm sure she'll get there safe and sound... Let’s give her some space for the meantime."

He sighed, "I don’t know what she’s going through but whatever it is, I will be beside her."

Eily felt his sincerity. She smiled. "You really like her huh? You’re a good man Andrew. Don’t give up on her alright? Promise me that."

"Yes."

"Oh!" she remembered Dennis. "What do you think, how’s Dennis doing now?"

"That was what I’m talking about earlier. You’re just not listening."

......

Late afternoon when Rees hit the town, it’s the town where she grew up. It's approximately four hours away from the previous location. "Whoa, I miss this cool fresh breeze." While walking along her way, she passed by her most admired natural inland scenery, where she used to kill time and especially after her class. "Hang on. I'll definitely visit you later after I have dined with my family." she was excited. She felt the wave of nostalgia after seeing it.

"Mama! Papa! Bro! I'm home! Surprise!" Rees yelled as soon as she reached their home sweet home. The members were astounded to see her unexpectedly. She was welcomed with a warm tight hug by her parents.

"Oh! Our sweet child! You’re being missed! Do you know that?" her teary mother Maris said.

"Why you didn't inform us first so that I'd cooked your favorite dishes!" her father Gabby grunted.

"Aww, it’s okay pa! Aren't you surprise with my arrival? Whatever you have prepared for tonight, I will eat them!"

"Really? You kid! Of course I am surprised!" he hugged her again.

"Did you take home something for me?" her older brother butted in.

"Oh yes my bro, you all have! How could I forget that?"

......

"Five years from now, we'll be married. That is what I'm wishing for." he told Rees while they were lying in the field of tulips under the vast starry sky. They were in the hilltop, their favorite place on Earth.