The Tree of Lost Souls

Told by PurnimaDubey

I read a few incidences and thought my grandma's experience definitely needs to be out there, so here is how it all began.

In rural and northern India in olden times people used to get married at the age of 9 or 10 and after the ceremony the brides continued staying at their parents' house until puberty. My granny got married at the age of 11 and continued living with her brothers and their wives as her father was the Minister at one of the king's court, her parents stayed away most of the time.

It is said that there are a few sacred trees that housed lost spirits. Once my granny and her eldest sister in law were heading towards a relative's place, her sister in law, being old enough, knew that taking the shortcut is not advisable as there is one such tree there.

She took my granny the longer route After a few hours while returning back, my granny's sister-in-law heard of someone's recuperating health and thought of visiting them, but my granny being naive wanted to play with her friends so she asked for permission to come back home and left on her own. When the sister-in-law came back home she found out my granny hadn't returned. Everyone went searching and out of fear were avoiding the shortcut but went there too and found her unconscious. They came back home and tried everything they could to bring her to her senses but all in vain. She woke up 3 days later only to act as someone else. She would sit up and start laughing and would barely eat food.

The local doctors had no idea, so they approached a priest who tried talking to my granny but to no avail. Somehow another priest was found who was very knowledgeable. It didn't take him time to understand that a soul was residing in my granny's body. He tried various measures and got rid of the soul from her body and left saying, "If she ever goes back to that place, the soul will not leave her."

My granny does not remember a single fraction of those two months of her life and has never tried going on that path.