My Grandma's Farmhouse

Told by --ww--

My grandma has owned a farmhouse in southern Illinois for around 40 years. Her husband, who I call Bubba, moved her and my aunt, uncle, and mother there. I spend every summer there, and always have. It's a 41 acre farm with a three and a half acre lake that I learned to swim in. Most of the farm is trees and crops.

I have many stories about this place, but I'll just tell the one that is the one I remember the best.

A few months ago, my Uncle Scott's wife's dad, who we called Grandpa Bill, was dying of cancer. Grandpa Bill's wife, Janice, had died a few years earlier. She had died all of a sudden, and they couldn't revive her. After that, Bill let himself go. That's why he got cancer.

All of the memories I have of Grandpa Bill weren't the best, but that's because I was really young when Janice died. That's probably why I didn't really mourn his death. I didn't see him often, and when I did, he didn't really talk to me or my siblings.

Anyways, the night Grandpa Bill died, my grandma, my mother, my siblings and I were all going to sleep in the living room. My mother and my siblings (me too) were only really there to help with Aunt Chris, because my mom is her best friend essentially.

Now, this farmhouse had two stories, and this place was over 50 years old. The staircase was still perfectly usable, just some of the stairs' trim had worn off. The staircase also creaked on every step, although it wasn't overly loud. In the living room, you could barely hear it.

Everyone was in the living room, laying down. It was around 11 o'clock, and I was drifting off to sleep. All of a sudden, there was loud creaking from the entry room, where the staircase was. It sounded exactly like what it sounds like when you walk down from the top floor down to the bottom, but much louder, and you're wearing work boots.

My mom had told me before that things like that had happened when they moved in. Apparently, the ghosts that lived there weren't allowed into the part of the living room we were sleeping in, because my grandparents had added that on. Except for Bubba.

Anyways, at around three in the morning that night, Grandpa Bill died. I learned this when I woke up, and my mom wasn't surprised that he had passed on, because of the staircase incident.

My grandma is dying of cancer. Bubba died of it. I'm pretty sure Bubba will give us a sign when it's her time, like he did with Grandpa Bill.

 I'm pretty sure Bubba will give us a sign when it's her time, like he did with Grandpa Bill