A Mother's Day Visit

Told by openadoor34

It was 12:45 AM on Mothers' Day, the first Mothers' Day since the death of my mother. My daughter was due to come home soon. I was asleep, or half asleep, when I smelled strong perfume, and it woke me up. I thought it might have wafted from my daughter as she walked passed my bedroom, but I looked at her room and the light was still off, she wasn't home. The rest of the night, morning, and half of the afternoon went by without incident, then I spotted something in the corner of my dining room. It appeared to be many white paper napkins layed carefully on the floor. I assumed someone in the family put them there in an effort to sop up cat urine. I asked my son, my daughter, and my husband if they did it, but nobody knew anything about it. On closer inspection, I realized that those weren't napkins, but white resealable plastic bags, 12 inches long and five and a half inches wide, each was folded in half. There were 14 of them. I've never seen those bags before, and have no idea where they came from.

Did I dream of smelling perfume? Where did that smell come from? Was it my mother? Was it also my mother tending to my cat's mess? I guess I'll never know. But if someone unseen, smelling of perfume, cleans up my house next Mothers' Day, I'll know it's her.

 But if someone unseen, smelling of perfume, cleans up my house next Mothers' Day, I'll know it's her