An Out of Body Experience

Told by Good_Night_Lock

I was about eleven when it happened.

I was excited to have my very own bedroom all to myself (earlier I had been sharing it with my sister). It was incredibly dark in there, though, and the only nightlight I had then was the light seeping into the room from the crack under the door. It worked well enough -- I was finally getting out of my phobia of the dark. But my paranormal experience almost made that fear worse.

One night, a week from that Thanksgiving, I woke up in my darkened room, leaning against the wall. I wasn't particularly shocked by my position -- there had been earlier instances where I had walked in my sleep -- rather, it was the fact that I was staring down at my unconscious body.

I freaked. The light was under the door, so I knew that my parents were still awake and just outside. Maybe, if I twisted the doorknob, the burning electric light would wake me up from this nightmare, tell me that seeing my body from a third point of view was just a figment of my admittedly vivid imagination. No such luck. My fingers couldn't grasp on the knob enough to actually turn it. It was like having a smartphone with a low-quality camera and trying to focus in on a far-away object.

That November night, I did everything I could possibly think of to wake up in myself. I screamed, I pounded on the door, heck, I tried walloping my head with a pillow -- everything an eleven-year-old could think of to escape an out-of-body experience.

That next morning, when nightmares seemed a thing of the past, I knew that that experience -- whatever it was -- was not just a dream. Maybe it was the unfiltered fear spiking through my veins, or maybe it was the pillows found haphazardly strewn through my room.

I haven't done much research into out-of-body experiences, but I believe that was what happened to me. So, in short, that was my first (and hopefully last) paranormal experience.

 So, in short, that was my first (and hopefully last) paranormal experience