Out on the Town [Judy's POV]

Let's face it, who doesn't love this picture?

~*~

Nick and I strolled through the empty streets of Central Zootopia as the moon shone brightly in the sky above us. The streets were normally peaceful at this time of night and even if they weren't, I would still feel safe with Nick by my side.

I snuggled up against Nick's arm as we continued walking down the street, and it only just occurred to me that all of this was very sudden. I mean, just half an hour ago Nick told me to put on something nice and get my shoes on, without even telling me where we were going. Apparently, we were just walking around town and when I asked him where he was taking me, he just said: "you'll see".

So, yeah, I was excited but also a little nervous. Nick and I have been dating for two years and, normally, I would be up to date on all of his schemes and plans - mainly because I would force them out of him - but this time, I couldn't seem to crack him. So I decided to go along with whatever he was doing, pretending I didn't suspect anything.

"Nick, where are we going?" I decided to ask after another few minutes of fruitless walking.

"To a fireworks show," Nick finally answered simply as we turned a corner.

"Fireworks show?" I asked to myself. "I didn't know there was a fireworks show on tonight."

"You gotta keep up with the times, babe, or else you'll know nothing about what's going on in this world," Nick replied smartly, smiling at nothing in particular.

"Excuse me, Mr. Fox Who Wakes Up At One In The Afternoon On A Weekend," I shot back, that phrase sounding a lot better in my head, causing me to cringe. "I know plenty about this world and I assure you, there was nothing about a fireworks show on the news."

"Whatever you say, Miss. Bunny Who Still Watches The News," Nick smirked as we approached the town square which was sort of crowded. Animals scattered out in groups here and there.

"This is our stop," Nick stated, checking his watch.

We were standing directly in the middle of the groups of animals scattered around us when Nick pulled out my carrot pen from his coat pocket. I raised an eyebrow at him, wondering what sort of damage he could do with a pen when he pressed the play button, a message I didn't even know I had reordered playing into the midnight air.

"I love you Nick."

Played over and over again, grabbing more and more animals' attention as my cheeks slowly turned red and my blush only got deeper.

"Nick, turn it off," I hissed, looking around at the confused faces around me.

"Wait, wait, wait," Nick laughed, playing it one more time. "Listen how wistful you sound!"

"I love you Nick."

It played again and he was right. I did sound wistful and I'm not even going to deny that I was. I jumped up in an attempt to grab the pen off of him but he held me down by holding a hand to my head.

"Nick, if you came here to embarrass me in front of people, well done! You have! Now can you please turn it off?" I begged as I felt tears spring into my eyes.

"I will, I will, I just gotta say something," he said, and with that, he turned the player off and put it back into his pocket.

"Judy, I know you love me. And I love you too, a lot. So..." He started, pulling out what looked like a black box from his back pocket and getting down on one knee.

Wait...

"So, will you do me the honour of being my wife?" He asked, grinning madly as he opened the box up, revealing a beautiful emerald ring.

I was at a loss for words as the townsfolk around us started cheering and awwing. Nick's smiled only grew bigger as I nodded, feeling the tears of embarrassment from earlier run down my face as tears of joy. Nick slid the ring onto my finger and hugged me tightly, only making me cry harder into his shoulder.

So this was what he was planning all along. To take me out late at night and propose to me in the middle of town.

"Hey where are the fireworks?" I asked, pulling away and looking at Nick.

"Well, you see, I control them using this button," he explained, holding up a controller with a red button on it. "I'm supposed to press it when you kiss me so-"

I cut Nick off abruptly by pressing my lips against his, making him drop the controller in surprise as he slowly succumbed to the kiss, kissing me back. Fortunately, the controller landed with the button face down so, when it hit the ground, the fireworks were set off. I didn't even need to look up or pull away to know that they were beautiful. And I didn't even want to, as the thought of me becoming Judy Wilde ran through my mind, making me feel happier than I ever have before.

~*~

Cringy ending? Yes, yes it was. ^-^