36 Hours [Nick's POV]

So, I was sleeping last night - as you do - and this idea just made its way into my dreams. Now, seeing as it was my dream, there were some really messed up parts in it. Like, my maths teacher appeared in it at one point, so I won't use that part 😂

~*~

36 hours.

36 hours of having to go through what was probably the best and the worst thing of my entire life.

36 hours was how long Judy was in labour for.

But now it was all over, and we had two beautiful twins. A bunny and a fox. A girl and a boy. It was perfect, and I guess the best things really do come to those who wait.

I sat at the top of the hospital bed next to Judy, as she was so small I could probably fit an elephant in it, waiting for the nurses to hand us our children. Judy had that worried look that any sane mother would have on her face after giving birth, and I held her paw comfortingly.

"You did great," I whispered into Judy's ear. "I'm so proud of you."

Tears welled in Judy's eyes as she squeezed my paw. I lovingly kissed her on the forehead and wrapped my arms around her in a hug. She sobbed a little into my shirt, but I didn't care. I always knew Judy was strong, but this completely went beyond my expectations. 36 hours of that pain, but it was all worth it.

"Mr. and Mrs. Wilde?" The nurse said, causing us to let go of eachother. "Would you like to hold them?"

Judy looked up at me as if she was asking for my permission and I just nodded lightly.

"Y-yes please," Judy answered, her voice shaking out of nervousness.

The nurse made her way over to the bed and carefully handed over our children. Judy cradled the little red fox in her arms like he might break, while I ran the back of my finger down the side of the little grey bunny's face. When she opened her eyes, a sparkling emerald colour emitted from them, which made me nearly well up.

She had my eyes.

I looked over at the baby fox as he slowly opened his eyes, to see a beautiful purple radiate off of them. Judy's face lit up as she looked over to me, almost as if our children having the other parent's eye colour was amazing.

"They're perfect," Judy whispered, kissing our fox on the forehead.

"What do you want to name them?" I asked, looking back down at the bunny in my arms.

"I...I don't know, Nick. You choose," Judy replied and I scoffed.

"No way, Carrot-Cake. 36 hours is what you went through, so you at least get to pick the names," I said teasingly.

Judy laughed a little before taking some time to choose the names. Letting her pick must've taken 36 hours alone, but I didn't mind. I loved holding my little girl, watching her squirm with new movements as her little ears and nose twitched.

"How about Ellie and Dean?" Judy suggested, looking up at me.

I scanned my girl's face before scanning my boy's face. I then looked up at Judy, a smile stretched across my face, and nodded.

"Ellie and Dean are perfect," I said and Judy's face lit up.

She looked back down at Dean and I watched her as she lightly ruffled the fur on his head.

"Hey Dean," she whispered. "I'm your Mommy, and over there is your Daddy and sister Ellie."

I waved.

"You are gonna be something great in the future, because this is Zootopia. And in Zootopia-"

"Anyone can be anything," I finished off her sentence, because it was true.

Zootopia gave me the chance to be a father, which is something I never thought I would be able to accomplish.

"You hear that, Ellie?" I asked the little bunny in my arms. "Because your mother just went through 36 hours of agonising pain and she is not going to repeat herself."

"Nick!" Judy chuckled, playfully punching my arm.

I chuckled myself, still looking down at Ellie. She looked so much like her mother, and that was how I knew that she would do great in the future. As for Dean, well, he's got his mother to teach him right and wrong because God knows I'd fail in that area. But I knew he would grow up to be just like his sister, something spectacular.

Judy rested her head on my shoulder and I gave her a light kiss on top of it.

"36 hours well spent," I said and Judy nodded.

"Mhm, best 36 hours of my life."

~*~

This was probably my favourite one-shot I've written so far; I'm really proud of it!