Faded [Judy's POV]

So I got this idea from that Alan Walker song 'Faded' and I thought of a good idea for a one-shot. I suppose you could say it has feels in it but not as big as the ones in Demise. Also, Nick and Judy aren't - or weren't in this case - a thing, nor did they ever have feelings for eachother. They were simply best friends. I thought this idea fit the story a bit more. Also, I've put it up there so feel free to listen to it if you like!

~*~

"You were the shadow to my light, did you feel us?
Another start, you fade away.
Afraid our aim is out of sight. Wanna see us...alive?"

I played the song lyrics over and over in my head as I picked up an old framed photo of Nick and I on his ZPD graduation day, uniform and all. We were shaking hands and I had a big goofy smile on my face, whereas Nick wore his usual smirk while doing bunny ears behind my head.

"Nice one, Nick," I muttered to no one in particular, smiling sadly as I put the framed photo back on the table and picked up my keys. I then left my apartment without another word, shutting and locking the door quietly behind me.

"Where are you now?
Where are you now?"

Along the corridor, I received looks of sympathy from all those who passed me. By now, word had gotten out about Nick's uncanny death while working on a case with me. We were working in the Rainforest District late one night trying to catch some murderers when he got shot and I could do nothing but watch in silent horror as he slowly faded...

People had also noticed my mood change. Even though I tried not to let them, my ears were sometimes droopy at the thought of Nick and I never talked much anymore. I had nothing to talk about or anyone to talk to. At this point, I literally had nothing except my job and Nick's trademark tie that was scooped up from the crime scene. But even after that, I still felt empty. Even my neighbours were being more quieter when I was at home or around.

"Where are you now?
Was it all in my fantasy?
Where are you now?
Were you only imaginary?"

I played the song in my head as I got into my car, already feeling the drag of the seat next to me being empty.

Despite the fact that Nick had been gone for about a month now, I still couldn't come to terms with the fact that he was actually...gone. The fact that he wouldn't be there, waiting for me in our seat in roll call. The fact that he won't be there to answer texts from me when I need someone to talk to. The fact that he won't be there to work super important cases with me and make them somewhat fun. The fact that...my best friend was dead...

I pulled up outside the ZPD and traipsed in through the large glass doors. It was relatively empty at this time, only the odd workers signing in or looking at posters or getting coffee. But Clawhauser was there and, somehow, he managed to cheer me up most days. When I actually wanted to be cheered up. Today wasn't one of those days. All I wanted today was for Nick for come back to me, but I knew that would never happen...

"Hey, Clawhauser," I mumbled as I signed my name on the sign-in sheet.

"Mornin' Judy!" The cheetah exclaimed happily, popping another doughnut into his mouth.

I smiled sadly at his optimism as I put the pen down on his desk and literally dragged myself to roll call.

"Where are you now?
Atlantis?
Under the sea...under the sea?
Where are you now?
Another dream?
The monsters running wild inside of me, I'm faded.
I'm faded.
So lost, I'm faded.
I'm faded...
So lost, I'm faded..."

After struggling to climb up the leg of my chair, I finally managed to get up. Nick and I would always share this chair during roll call, as we were the two smallest animals in the ZPD and could easily fit on one chair. I missed the warmth he provided when he was next to me, and now that he wasn't here, it felt cold.

We were assigned to our jobs and, not surprisingly, I was assigned to parking duty. Ever since Nick died, I had been slipping up in the whole "cases and whatnot" so Bogo assigned me to parking duty as a recovery job seeing as I still came into work despite my loss.

During those torturous twelve hours of work, I kept running into those places where Nick and I shared good times together. Jumbeaux's café where I first met Nick and he hustled me. The Mystic Springs Oasis where we found out the license plate to the limo that took Otterton. The DMV where we were greeted with sloths as our accountants.

"These shallow waters never met what I needed.
I'm letting go, a deeper dive.
Eternal silence of the sea, I'm breathing...
Alive..."

I felt tears prick at the corners of my eyes at the mere memory of Nick and I and, to avoid getting anymore unwanted sympathy, I quickly wiped them away with the back of my paw and climbed into my car. I didn't want anyone treating me differently just because of my loss and I didn't intend to let people see me that way.

"Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Under the bright, but faded lights, you've set my heart on fire. Where are you now?
Where are you now?"

I was at home before I even knew it and everything seemed so bland now. Nick and I weren't even living together and yet nothing in my apartment appealed to me anymore. It was quite odd. It seemed like life wasn't worth living anymore but I still carried on. Why? Because it's what Nick would've wanted.

'Never let them see that they get to you,' he always used to say and I wasn't prepared to go against his word, even if it meant living a dull and colourless life. Nick was all I ever had, and now that he was gone I didn't know what to do with my life. With myself...

I sighed in sadness and trudged to my bedroom to get ready for bed. It was only 8:19pm but I was tired. As I dressed in my nightclothes, I couldn't help but ponder over whether this would be my life from now on. Waking up in the same boring mood and going through the same boring routine every stinking day. I could at least use a friend to help get me through it. But I didn't have one...

I felt my ears droop again as I climbed into bed and closed my eyes, a few tears slipping out of my eyelids as a shaky sigh escaped my mouth.

"Where are you now?
Atlantis?
Under the sea...under the sea?
Where are you now?
Another dream?
The monsters running wild inside of me, I'm faded.
I'm faded.
So lost, I'm faded.
I'm faded...
So lost, I'm faded..."

~*~

I'm actually crying. Oh lord. Help me. I might actually make a movie edit for Zootopia when the movie comes out on DVD with this song in the background.

So, today I went to go see Zootropolis again but with my dad this time. He loved it and now we have another one joining the fandom. xD