Secret Love Song [General POV]

Big thank you to -Inksplosion- for this idea! I really appreciate it as I've been having really bad writer's block for the past few weeks.

~*~

Why can't you hold me in the street,
Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor?

The same question ran through Judy's mind nearly everyday.

Why?

Why couldn't she love Nick liked her parents loved eachother? Why wasn't she allowed to fall in love with whoever she wanted to? It didn't make sense to the young bunny and, being an officer of the law, she was pretty much stopping herself from loving Nick.

Interspecies relationships were against the law in the city of Zootopia and part of Judy's job was making sure that nobody broke any of the city's laws, but she was basically breaking them herself. She even went to the mayor to ask about changing these laws but he refused, saying it just wasn't right.

So, Judy wondered what would happen if anybody ever found out about her's and Nick's relationship. The two were so paranoid about getting caught that whenever they were together and out in public, they couldn't even hold hands or flirt with eachother like they would like to do.

All of their dates either had to be at Judy's or Nick's house, and they always had to keep the blinds closed and the room dimly lit in fear of being caught.

They could never sleep in the same bed or on the couch together in case someone saw and they would get into serious trouble.

They both had to live their lives on the verge of getting arrested and the two of them hated it.

I wish that it could be like that,
Why can't we be like that?
'Cus I'm yours.

Walking down the street every morning was the worst thing for Judy and Nick.

Everyday, they would walk past at least one same-species couple, holding hands and kissing eachother on the cheek, and it made the two feel sick.

Sick because they couldn't have that. Sick because the world was a cruel place. Sick because they wanted that.

Even on stakeouts, the two had to crawl into the back seats of their cop car, where the windows were tinted, just so they could snuggle or show affection.

It wasn't a very nice lifestyle but it was all they could have, and even though they didn't want to, Judy and Nick were slowly getting used to it.

Why can't I say that I'm in love?
I wanna shout it from the rooftops!

The thing Judy hated the most about keeping a relationship under the radar was physically having to keep it under the radar.

All the pictures she had of her and Nick being affectionate on her phone were transferred onto her computer and deleted off of the cellular device, stored in a folder on her laptop that nobody would ever be able to find. She even asked Nick, who knew her better than anybody else, to try and find it and he couldn't.

But she had to keep those pictures under lock and key, not posting them on any form of social media or showing them to anyone, not even her parents. She couldn't even have a simple picture of her and Nick kissing as her wallpaper.

And whenever Judy's parents asked if she had a boyfriend yet, she had to playfully roll her eyes and say no with a giggle. It was painful, having to lie to her parents, but she just couldn't tell them.

I wish that it could be like that,
Why can't we be like that?
'Cus I'm yours.

Nick had so many things to think of Judy by. He'd printed off pictures of him and her from his phone and put them into a steel box that could only be opened by pin.

Every night when he was feeling down, he would open the box and stare at the pictures until his eyes watered.

Nick wanted to be able to take Judy out to fancy restaurants and flirt with her in public and be able to cuddle up next to her in bed. But because of some stupid laws, he couldn't, and he hated himself for being a cop who promoted those laws.

He and Judy had even thought of getting new jobs, but it wouldn't change the fact that interspecies relationships were still illegal. And besides, a cop was a good paying job.

But sometimes reality would hit the two so hard they even thought of breaking up and ending their misery. But you couldn't just put an end to love, as it was something that lasted forever. Judy and Nick both knew the other was worth all the time and effort and sneaking around, so they remained a strong couple.

Even if it was never meant to be.

Why can't we be like that?
Wish we could be like...that...

~*~

Ahh, it feels so good to write Junick again. 😌