Distance (Part 1) [Judy's POV]

grenda2911, your ideas are so cliché, the fuck is wrong with you? 😂

~*~

"Officer Hopps, I am glad to assign you to Precinct Three: Tundratown," Chief Bogo announced during roll call and I didn't know whether to feel happy or sad.

I was leaving Zootopia. Leaving Nick...

Sure, I was happy to be going to a different section of Zootopia, but I would be miles away from Nick and the thought of that scared me.

We were best friends and have been for the past three years, and all the good times we had made me want to create more. But that wouldn't be possible if I was going to be moving to Tundratown.

What was Chief Bogo thinking anyway? Moving a bunny to Tundratown! Did he want me to freeze to death?!

But it's not like I could turn down his announcement, as he actually seemed happy for the first time in three years, which is just rude in my opinion...couldn't he wait until after I was gone to throw a mental party?

"Alright, Buffalo-butt, simmer down," Nick snapped, obviously not too impressed about the chief's happiness.

Bogo cleared his throat and looked back down at the dock-it on his desk.

"Right," he grunted. "Officer Hopps, you are to take the day off to pack up all of your things and Officer Wilde, why don't you help her?"

I nodded and Nick did a mock soldier salute before the two of us headed over to my apartment. But for the whole journey, Nick seemed off. He was staring at the ground the entire time with his paws in his pockets, kicking stones an pebbles on the sidewalk as he came across them.

"You ok, Nick?" I asked, looking over at him in worry.

"I'm fine," he replied but I could tell he was lying.

"No you're not," I argued, giving him a serious glare. "Tell me what's wrong; otherwise you'll have to live with the feeling on your chest when I'm not here, and believe me it's not a very nice feeling."

Nick sighed and looked over at me. "I just don't want you to go, that's all."

My ears fell flat on my head. Of course I was expecting that, but of course I didn't want it to be true.

"And I don't want to go either, but I have to," I replied.

"No you don't!" Nick exclaimed, whipping his head round to look at me, an angered look in his eyes. "You can march back over to Bogo and tell him you don't want to go!"

"Come on, Nick, let's not fight," I said calmly, ignoring his sudden outburst. "Savour these last few hours we have left together."

Nick smiled slightly at that. "You say that like you've only got a couple hours to live."

"Well, I may aswell be," I wanted to say. But I didn't. I wasn't ready to tell Nick about my feelings for him, and I didn't think I ever would be.

~*~

"Attention, customers, flight 7065 is now boarding," the lady over the PA system announced and I hopped off of my seat in the waiting area, Nick standing up next to me.

(Because trains are too mainstream 😂)

"Well, I guess this is it," I sighed as I pulled my rucksack on over my back.

"Yep," Nick replied awkwardly, trying not to look at me.

"Nick," I said softly, trying to move into his eyeshot, but he kept turning away from me. "Nick, look at me."

He closed his eyes tightly before sighing and looking at me, the hurt visible in his eyes.

"I'll be back before you even know it," I smiled sweetly, giving Nick a quick kiss on the cheek before hugging him and running off to my gate.

I didn't bother looking back at him as I ran through the crowded airport, tears blurring my vision and running down my face. I wasn't ready to leave Nick, at least not like this anyway...

~*~

Nick is so stubborn in this one-shot.

I love it.