Denying [Judy's POV]

I know I'm doing a lot of one-shots from Judy's POV but when I think of an idea, I have to decide whose POV it would be best in, and most of them sound better from Judy's. Don't worry, I'll still write some from Nick's POV, but for now, I'm going along with Judy. Also, I've given up on trying to match pictures with a storyline. So, I'm just putting in random ones now. Ok? Ok. 😊

~*~

"Never trust foxes," my mother used to say. And now I'm about to kiss one.

It was late at night and Nick was round mine, filing cases with me that we didn't get to do at work. The night started out calm, with Nick and I dressed in our usual attire - me in my pink flannel shirt and blue jeans, and Nick in his green Hawaiian shirt with his indigo tie and brown slacks - then it got a little more awkward when we began talking about more serious issues.

We were just talking about embarrassing things that have happened throughout our lives and when Nick asked me if I've ever had a crush on anybody, my mind drew a blank. For the last two years since we've been working together, I had grown particularly close to Nick and I even began developing a crush on him, which was wrong. Growing up as a child, I was taught not to trust foxes, as they eat bunnies, but I never actually saw anything bad in them. Well, not in Nick anyway. But even when I knew I liked him, I still tried to deny my feelings for him based off of some stupid stereotype.

Obviously, I said no, and asked Nick that same question.

"Have you ever had a crush on anybody?" I asked, nudging Nick's arm playfully.

I was expecting him to say no, as he's never normally had time to fantasise over girls. But when he said yes, I felt my stomach drop.

"Uh, yeah, I have actually," he answered, squinting as if trying to remember. "Gorgeous girl. Beautiful eyes, beautiful mind, flawless personality. If only she was mine."

"Oh," I answered, trying to sound happy but it was obvious that I was sad in the way that my ears drooped. "Who is she?" I asked, turning back to the case files.

"You," Nick answered simply, causing me to halt in my actions as my ears perked back up.

I was too surprised to smile or be happy, as the same thing churned through my mind over and over again.

Never trust foxes.

"And I know you like me too Carrots," he said, causing me to turn to him suddenly.

"What?" I asked, it almost coming out as an insult.

"It's obvious. Before...this, you were always up for hanging out with me. But, recently, you've been avoiding me and it's the only logical explanation. So tell me, Carrots, do you like me?"

I thought for a moment before answering. I didn't want to say no, but I also didn't want to say yes, in case my nosey neighbours heard.

"Y-yeah," I admitted quietly, but loud enough for Nick to hear, and not too loud for my neighbours to hear. But then again, they hear everything.

Don't get me wrong, I was happy, but also a bit iffy. I wasn't sure whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. I mean, ever since the incident with Gideon Grey when I was nine, I thought that being friends with a fox was a risk, but being in love with a fox was even worse.

"Hey, don't feel embarrassed, Carrots," Nick said, putting his paw on my shoulder after I turned away, blushing like mad. But the sudden feel of his paw made me turn back around again. "I won't tell anyone. And besides, we've been friends for too long to let this get in the way of our friendship."