1 ● Dimples

"Race you to school!" He bellowed as he zoomed off in his Audi.

I couldn't have been the only one with a childhood friend I had to grow up with right next door to, but yet somehow, when you think you've seen their worse, they surprise you.

That was the definition of my Kai Tatar, my best friend.

I stared down at the two feet he had left me to 'race' him with, and without hesitation, I began running.

He had to do this every single year. This wasn't even the worst so far.

The first day of second grade, I had to go to school with a really crappy bob cut, thanks to him.

He had slept over and once I dozed off to sleep, he became really handy with my pink safety scissors.

The worst part was my mother didn't blame him, but me instead. She said if I had put it where it was supposed to be, no one would've gotten hurt... and then she patted his head.

That wasn't even the beginning of how everyone preferred him to me.

Fifth grade, he injected some fish oil into my mother's Calvin Klein Euphoria perfume. I had already sprayed it all over my body before I took a whiff.

My mother had grounded me for two months for stealing it in the first place.

It was an every year ritual for him to embarrass me on the first day of school.

Once I realized I wasn't going to catch up with his fast driving, I decided to save myself the stress and walk.

"Silly bastard!" I managed to speak through heavy pants and kicked the little pebble in front of me like it was Kai himself.

I felt like I was going to pass out, so I stood for a minute with my hands resting on my knee, trying to catch my breath.

I was still contemplating going to school or skipping the whole day to sleep when I heard the noise from a speeding car swerving.

I jerked my head up the same time the car came to a stop. I expected it to be Kai, but I was wrong.

I recognized him. We used to have history together the previous school year and he was on the school football team with Kai. Yet, I couldn't recall ever speaking to me. I didn't even know his name.

"Need a ride?" He asked, flashing his set of pearly whites.

Without hesitation, I got in and shut the door immediately, getting myself comfortable as I tried to cool down my panting.

"Did you get chased by a dog?" He asked, chuckling, as he stepped his foot on the throttle.

More like I was trying to catch one.

I was too weak to talk, so I just gave him a small smile and proceeded to tweet about my heartless best friend.

Kai bloody Tatar.

•••

Luckily for me, the guy had driven in complete silence, with the only sound of noise being his radio.

Once he pulled up in the school's parking lot, I hopped down before he could even turn off the ignition.

"Thank you," I kindly said to him.

"Don't sweat it," he shrugged.

I concluded that that was the end of the conversation between us, so I spun around and began walking away... just for me to hear him speak again.

"Skylar... right?" He asked uncertainly. Mentally cursing myself for not running while I could, I spun back on my heels to face him.

"Yea. Right," I nodded, waiting for what he had to say next.

"Jesse.." He began stuttering. "Me-- I mean. I'm Jesse Hubert."

It was almost cute. I giggled in the cutest way I could, but it just didn't work out.

Staying around Kai would do that to you... Laughing like a wild animal of course.

"Well, nice to actually meet you, Jesse Hubert," I nodded, about to turn and leave again.

But my new friend Jesse here had other plans. "I was wondering if maybe you'd .. if sometime this week if you're not busy or anything... Would you wanna--"

"Dimples!" Think of the devil and he shall appear.

Kai jumped me into a hug, ruffling my hair like he did to his little sister.

I pushed him off me in anger. "You really left me! I ran like a cow trying to catch up and yet you just drove off like it was nothing!"

He put his hand over my shoulder and began walking me into the building. Yes. I forgot all about Jesse and how he was about to ask me out.

Yes we left him there quite rudely.

No. This wasn't the first time Kai was making me do this to a person.

Yes I felt terrible.

Worse part was we didn't even know when we did it. He'd just sort of come grab me away without acknowledging whoever I was talking to.

"C'mon," Kai shrugged nonchalantly. "At least this prank wasn't as harsh as the other times. I tried to be nice."

"And let me walk to school?!" I asked.

"But did you die though?" He joked and all I could do was stomp my leg on his foot.

Of course he didn't feel as much pain as I wanted him to. But he mocked me by faking a crying sound.

Angrily and defeated, I folded my arms across my chest. "Keep up with your childishness and one day, I'll make you cry."

He paused his act for a minute to respond to my promise. Chuckling, he said to me "babe, you couldn't even if you tried."

And I shrugged with a mean smirk on my face. "That's the sweet part. I won't even mean to."

A.N: new story everytime. Sorry I can't bottle up all my ideas.

I'll still be posting the rest as well dw.

Picture of Skylar Johnson attached.