8 ● You're Home

"Forget it, Kai. I'm not going to the party," I told him for the umpteenth time.

"But there are gonna be guys there you're gonna want to mingle with," he explained.

I rolled my eyes at him. "Kai, you wouldn't even let them talk to me."

"Exactly! It's all going to be fun," he beamed like he was making any sense at all.

Ignoring him, I poured myself some milk and took my tray of breakfast-lunch to the dining. After waking up the second time, we just stayed in bed for a while, talking and catching up while he attempted braiding my hair.

It wasn't until I looked at the time and saw that it was past noon that I began feeling hungry.

He followed me into the dining like a hungry puppy, eagerly waiting to see if I had changed my mind.

I sat down and pressed my fork into the pancake and Kai still had his eager eyes on me. I growled out of frustration. "I'm not going to change my mind so quit it."

He pouted and dropped his head, trying to fake a cute sadness so that I could give in. Unfortunately for him, I knew his schemes like I knew the location of my mouth.

"Fine," he finally gave up, letting his shoulder fall and running his hand through his hair in distress. "I'll just stay in with you then."

"You don't have to," I told him, pointing my fork with a slice of pancake on it at him. Without hesitation he ate it. "You can go with Jul and Corey."

"But I wanna spend the weekend with you," he said, taking my fork from my hand and cutting himself another slice of pancake. "I haven't spoken to you in  three whole days and now you wanna chase me away."

I laughed at his childish complaints, mostly because it was cute. "Look who can't live without me now."

He gave a light chuckle and the grin on his face stayed. "I really can't," he joked. "Sure you're gonna be okay staying in alone?"

I nodded with a sweet smile on my face. In that moment, he pulled my whole tray of food to himself and downed the milk in one gulp.

"Kai, I asked you if you were hungry and what did you say?"

"I asked if you would follow me to the party," he said, carrying the tray with him as he stood up. "And what did you say?"

And there went my meal out the front door with my annoyance of a best friend.

***

9:47pm

It wasn't so bad being alone. Kai had called me the minute he reached the party to let me know. I had heard Willa's voice over the phone and she had asked him to tell me hello.

Something told me she was going to try and make a move on him.

I began watching Game of Thrones, trying to catch up. Some minutes into Season 1 Episode 9, I got a text from an unknown number that read 'hey Skylar, It's Jesse.'

My heart skipped a beat and I paused my show. I began rummaging my brain. Do I text back now or do I act like I haven't seen it at all?

Should I even reply?

I rolled my eyes. It was just a bloody text. I unlocked my phone and the first thing I did was save his name.

To Jesse: Hey

I sent that and began thinking of what else to say to keep the conversation going, but within seconds, he was already typing back.

From Jesse: Are you going to the party with your best friend or should I come get you?