23 ● I Regret

A/N; please comment as you read so I know what you guys think. 💕 Happy reading!

The principal's office was always cold... or maybe it was just the uneasiness of being called in.

But I was definitely shivering.

"You're begging to be kicked out of the team, boy!" The coach angrily said to Kai for the sixth time now.

Yes, I've been counting. I had to do something to calm my nerves while they yelled at questioned the both of them.

I had done my part, which was to verify whose story was true and which was false.

"Kicked out of the school!" The principal corrected. "And it will be a shame for that to happen just a few months from your graduation."

I looked over at Kai. He was being unusually quiet. Normally he'd respond to their threats with snarky comments that just get them so mad.

But this time, he had his elbow rested on the hand of his seat and his head rested against his hand.

He looked like he was in another world, lost in deep thought... whatever he was thinking about.

"You are both banned from the homecoming dance!" The principal lawed out.

Jesse let out a sigh, and Kai looked like he had dozed off... or at least he was about to.

His eyes kept slowly closing and opening, but then he shook it off and stood up. "Is that all?"

So rude, you may say. But that was just him.

The principal looked at him with what seemed like annoyance and disgust. "Get out of my office," he said and then waved us all off.

I got out right behind Kai, but he didn't even bother waiting for me to at least check if he was okay.

Immediately he was out, he stormed off, and Jesse's hands intertwined with mine, reminding me where I stood.

"Wanna come with me to get this checked out?" He asked, pointing at the bruises that were already forming on his face.

I shrugged. "Sure." Why not? Let me miss class completely and go make sure Jesse was alright.

~~~

I sat in my room while the clouds outside turned dark, thinking if Kai was okay.

I couldn't check up on him because I had promised his mother that I'd keep my distance.

But I saw the force at which the bat had hit his head. I felt it even.

So for the first time in forever, I found myself climbing out my window, and on to the tree.

Once I got on there, I became stuck. I didn't know what branch to put my leg on, or how to get back into my room.

I looked to the ground and almost wished I didn't. I almost slipped and fell.

Hugging on to the branch I was on, I managed to quickly pull out my phone to call Kai.

It took a while before he actually picked. "Skylar, I--"

"I'm stuck!" I almost sounded like I was crying. "Kai please just look out your room window and tell me what to fucking do because I might just fall!"

There was a brief moment of silence and I assumed it was because he was walking to his window.

I was too scared to open my eyes.

And then I heard him let out a laugh. He must've found it so hilarious that I was about to die.

"Stop laughing at me and tell me what to fucking do!" I demanded.