12 ● Just This Once

I was a big idiot to have easily fallen for one of their tricks.

"We're just going to hang out at Jul's" they said.

So why the bloody hell did we end up at the beach?

I already knew I was being betrayed when the car ride was a little longer than usual to her place.

I had evil friends. Evil.

I turned around and opened up the car door. "I'll just wait for you guys in here."

Before I could step a foot in, Kai had already shut the door.

"No. You're coming with us," he said and Jul happily nodded.

I peeped at the scenery over his shoulders.

There were lots of people, all from school. I recognized their faces.

"Come on," Kai said, taking my arm. "You'll be fine."

I gulped and calmly followed along behind Corey and Juliet with Kai by my side.

"I'll be right back with the drinks," Kai yelled to as he already ran off. We had just joined the crowd and he was going to leave me with Juliet and Corey.

I sighed in disappointment. Soon enough, they'll start their heated argument and I'll be left out. Lovebirds.

"Hey so how are things with you and Jesse?" Juliet asked me and of course I got shocked.

Where was this coming from?

I suddenly felt my cheeks get heated up. "Sky, you're red," Corey said, raising his hand to my head and I slapped it away.

"Well it's kind of hot here, isn't it?" I asked, avoiding eye contact.

"Not at all. It's windy. It's the beach." I eyes Corey as he spoke. Why couldn't he just let me be?

"If you don't want to talk about Jesse," Juliet said with quite an intimidating look on, almost like she was about to threaten me. "I'll just go ask Kai then."

She had taking a step towards the direction Kai had ran off to and I quickly stopped her by agreeing to talk.

She knew how Kai got when we spoke about any guy trying to talk to me. And for some reason, Jesse bugged him more.

Maybe it was the fact that Jesse was the first guy I was actually willing to take into consideration.

But I wouldn't ever wish to jeopardize our friendship over something so little, especially now that he was trying to be okay with the fact that I am a girl and I am going to have to eventually date someone.

"I don't know, okay? We just talk," I shrugged.

"More than you talk to Kai?" Corey asked, keeping his eyes on his phone as he let his mouth blabber on.

I rolled my eyes. "Kai is with me almost every second. I don't think that's remotely possible."

"Okay but do you like him--"

"God! No! Geez, guys. He's my best friend. Just that. Nothing else. Zilch. Nada." I shook my head repetitively at them. I was sick and tired of them insinuating that.

"She wasn't talking about Kai," Corey snickered. "We know you don't like him."

"Thank y--"

"You love him," he added.

My aura darkened. I just wanted to slap the living shit out of him and silence Juliet's annoying laughter.

"Who loves who?" That was Kai returning with the drinks. He never drank and neither did Jul.