28 ● Nice Work

I was asleep all through the night on the thin hospital bed. I heard when my parents walked in, but I didn't want to open my eyes.

Kai had taken them out of the room to tell them what had happened. And then I fell back to sleep.

I woke up the next morning to see Kai asleep right next to me on my left side. He was sat on a chair right next to the bed and his head was rested against it.

It was when I tried to sit up that I realized his left hand was crossing over my legs and holding on to my right hand.

After a bit of hesitation and contemplating, I decided whatever and used my free hand to caress the side of his face.

That was when I realized he was sweating. I also noticed how he'd scrunched up his nose and his lips moved.

Was he having a nightmare?

I shook him, "Kai?"

His muttering got louder but I just couldn't hear it still.

I leaned forward to hear better. "Don't touch her. Don't. Don't touch her. Run. Sky... run."

My heart sank. He was having a bad dream about what had happened.

I took his other hand in mine and squeezed them, shaking him gently to wake him up. "Kai!"

And he quickly snapped, jumping a bit as he sat up.

I released his hands and watched him rub his eyes. "How're you feeling?"

It was when he stretched that I saw the bandage on his stomach. He had been cut.

"Better," I chose to say. "Thanks to you. If you didn't show up, I'm not sure what would've..."

"Hey, it's okay," he said, taking my hands and moving closer. Apparently, he did that subconsciously cause once he realized himself, he let go off my hand and sat back.

Suddenly everything got awkward. And I tried to lighten up the mood by indulging in small talk. "Come to think of it, where did you pop up from?"

He looked away from me once I asked that question. "I stayed back after the crappy game," he said. "Needed some fresh air."

I didn't want to push it too far and ask why. I however knew he hadn't stayed back with Willa since Willa went home with Yvonne to get ready for the dance. So I kept my mouth shut and just nodded.

Whatever he chose to do was not meant to be my business. He made that clear.

"Did you sleep like that all night?" I asked, pointing my head to the chair.

He shrugged.

"You didn't have to do that--"

"I had to make sure you were safe," he sort of blurted out. "I would've done the same for any other person. It's no biggie."

And just like that, the moment was ruined, which I'm pretty sure was his motive.

He got up. "I'll be going to my room now," he said and walked right out the door without even letting me say another word.

Not long after, I watched Jesse limp in. His presence disgusted me.

If I got those guys correctly, I was raped because my supposed boyfriend raped the guy's own girlfriend.

How pathetic.

He stood by the door and looked over at me with his swollen purple eye and his bruised lips.

"Get out," I said quietly, tears pouring down my eyes. This was the retard I gave my virginity up to.

"Skylar I swear I didn't mean for any of this to happen to you. I didn't know they'd come after you--"