31 ● Almost

Skylar Johnson

"Are we there yet?" That was the first thing I asked once I opened my eyes and it was already bright outside.

I heard Kai breathe in sharply as he lightly jerked up in his seat.

If I had known he were asleep, I wouldn't have bothered him.

He looked down at me with his red sleepy eyes. "Almost," he told me, after checking the map on the little screen in the chairs.

I slowly sat back up and adjusted myself away from him as much as I could in my seat.

That was the best sleep I had had in a long long time.

I realized he was looking at me with a half grin on his face, probably due to how sleepy he still was.

"What?" I asked, uneasily.

He chuckled. "You were moaning again," he said.

Fuck no.

"I'm pretty sure everyone around us thought we were up to something quite... dirty--"

"No no. No," I shunned him, burying my face in my hands in embarrassment.

Meanwhile, he broke out laughing. Quite uncontrollably might I add.

I had to raise my hand to his mouth to keep him quiet and even at that, his muffled laughter was still audible.

His laughter eventually died down and he took my hand away from his mouth but never let go.

Not that it was a huge deal. It was just that, we had barely made contact these few weeks so the slightest touch, I would notice it.

"It's okay," he said still smiling. "At least this time, you didn't sound constipated. It was almost ... sexy."

My breathing seized. Did he just call me sexy?

Did he just say I sounded sexy?

Okay it wasn't really a big deal either. We've had more sexual compliments and conversations in the past.

It's just that... was he trying to hold an actual conversation with me?

Well if he was willing to try for the few hours we had left in this flight, then I may as well.

I gave him a sly smile. "Y'know, I can be sexy when I want to be-"

He bursted out in laughter again. "You look like a bloody cow. I told you, winking isn't for everybody."

I let my jaw drop and when he noticed, he chuckled. "C'mon, you know I'm just messing with you."

He began playing with my fingers and his gaze was so focused on it. But I knew better. His mind had wandered off to somewhere.

And then out of the blue, breaking the sudden silence, he asked "how are you?"

I scrunched up my face in confusion but broke into a small chuckle. "I'm good, how're you?"

He shook his head. "No I'm serious," he said. He looked so stern with the crease between his brows and his eyes narrowed at me.

He still cares.

"Especially after what ... happened," he could barely finish his words. I watched as he clenched his jaw and he closed his eyes to calm his anger down.

I hated seeing him angry... or watching him get angry. It was almost like he was about to turn into hulk.

I raised my free hand to the side of his face. "Hey," I called out and his eyes flung open. He breathing had slowed down and gone back to normal.