9 ● Type of Love

Kai Tatar

I loved the feeling of her tiny little hands massaging my head, playing with my hair. I had my head on her thighs, both of us comfortable on her bed.

We usually spent Saturdays having fun and Sundays doing school work at her place.

But I couldn't get my mind off last night and there was something she wasn't telling me; something she didn't know I was already aware of.

"What is 'I'm fucking good-looking' in French?" I asked her, biting the cover of my pen deep in thought, not of the question I had asked but of the one I wanted to.

"Je baise beau.. if I'm not mistaken," she said. "But I'm pretty sure Ms. Genevieve will cancel your entire grade if you cuss in her essay."

I just gave her half a smile and closed my book.

Homework is bullshit.

I brought out my phones to begin sending out replies to all the girls who just didn't get the hint.

Nineteenth year in this bloody little town and these girls thought they could change me. All that 'good girl fixes the bad boy' crap.

I didn't even bother saving their numbers. That's how much of a fuck I didn't give about any of them.

But I couldn't cancel out Dahlia just yet. She was my best distraction so far and she gave good head. I smiled at the picture I had received from her and began typing in my reply.

"Why're you awfully quiet?" I heard Sky's little voice say.

"Why're you awfully quiet?" I asked, hitting send. I locked my phone and looked up to the ceiling while she played with my hair.

"Because--"

"There something you want to tell me?" I sat up and turned my body to face her.

She could not lie to me right now. I prayed to the heavens that she wouldn't.

I knew about her escapade with that idiot Jesse last night. Mostly because the minute I got to the party, live as it was, I felt guilty and bored. Because she wasn't there.

I had immediately returned to her crib, just for her mom to greet me with shocked eyes, telling me she said she was going out and she thought it was with me.

I didn't think nothing of it... until I saw them through my window, almost about to eat each other's faces.

I had removed my face in anger because for some reason, I couldn't bare to watch the rest. Hell for all I know they probably went through with it.

I felt played in some kind of way. Did she really chase me away so she could hang out with buttface?

Why couldn't she tell me about it? I was her best friend after all.

So I looked her square in the eye waiting for her response.

"No." And she lied.

"So you just stayed at home all night doing nothing?" I asked, laying back on her thighs because I couldn't bare to look at her.

"Actually I went out to grab a pizza and see a movie," she said.

I looked up to see her face. She had this lovey-dovey smile on that lit up her entire face.

"All by yourself?" I nudged on.