27 ● What Act?

The next day, I stayed in my room all day, trying to study for the midterms.

Somehow I kept checking my phone for some reason. Maybe he'd text or call.

I don't know why I thought that way. Just because we had a moment the previous night didn't mean we were now alright with each other. Especially seeing as he was drunk.

Hell, he probably didn't even remember.

The day after that was school.

School never felt lonelier. Juliet wasn't talking to me, Corey and I were just on a hi and bye basis.

And I hadn't quite forgiven Jesse yet.

I don't know why, it was just easier to put all my anger on him. And I still didn't want to hear what he had to say.

It had been two weeks since I found out what he did and for the fact that it was actually true, it made it a whole lot easier to focus all my anger from everything else on him.

It was time for lunch and I usually sat with Willa and Yvonne. Although recently, Willa had promoted herself to my old table and sat exactly where I used to sit... Right next to Kai, opposite Jul.

Even though Kai had a small smile on his face when she sat next to him, Juliet's face showed frustration.

I understood where she was coming from. Willa talked too much. And she didn't exactly have the most pleasant of voices.

It had a certain pitch to it that could qualify as a scream if she just raised it one more pitch higher.

And she was too perky.

I didn't realize I was staring over at their table for so long until I watched Kai turn his head and his eyes wander about.

It was the uneasiness I felt when his eyes landed on me that made me quickly blink my gaze away to see Yvonne who was now approaching with Jesse by her side.

They were both giggling and laughing like that was normal.

No it wasn't!

He usually sat with his jock friends. So why the hell was he walking to the table?

"Hey, Skylar. Hope you don't mind," Yvonne smiled broadly, pushing up her glasses at its bridge, gesturing to Jesse before she took a sit.

"What the hell?" I muttered.

Everyone in the school knew I wasn't on talking terms with Jesse... and sadly Kai but that's not the point right now.

Yvonne placed her bag next to her so that meant Jesse was going to sit by me.

I moved more to the left and my eyes subconsciously wandered again to Kai's table, and I saw him leaning in to Willa to whisper something in her ear.

Her loud high pitched laughter filled the cafeteria. I'm sure it wasn't that funny.

And then the most shocking thing happened. He looked at me from the corner of his eyes with a certain glint of deviousness in them.

Was he trying to get me jealous?

"You two really need to talk things out," Yvonne commented, shaking her head.

I almost thought she was talking about Kai and thanked God I didn't give the wrong response.

"Should I excuse you two--"

"Yes please," Jesse said before I could say otherwise.

Yvonne, ignoring my glares, got up and wandered off to another sit, leaving me to share my table with Jesse.