24 ● Not My Problem

He's not dead.

If he dies, I die. Maybe not physically, but I'll be lost forever.

That night, I had slept, crying in my mother's arms. And when she had asked me what was wrong, I just told her Kai collapsed.

I didn't want to risk her friendship with his mom by telling her the mean things she said to me. But thinking about it, the way Mrs. Tatar had reacted was the most normal way a loving mother would react when the child passes out.

The worse part was, I couldn't go visit him at the hospital, or find out in any way how he was doing... well, except through Corey, and Juliet... and perhaps even his teammates. People who were never as close to him as I was, and they will never be.

I dreaded going to school the next day, but I managed to push myself to, in the hopes of getting some information from someone about Kai's wellbeing.

He's not dead.

"Sky!" Even the most familiar voice had me shaking. I turned and saw Juliet walking hurriedly to me, with the look of concern in her face.

I wasn't ready for any questions at all, and by the look on her face, it was obvious she had heard, and that she had a lot of questions.

Luckily for me, she kept them to herself and pulled me in to a tight hug. "He'll be fine," she whispered into my ear.

I hoped so. The whole thing felt like my fault. If I had told him about me and Jesse, maybe he wouldn't have thought the 'rumors' were actually rumors.

I could've prevented the fight.

I shouldn't have said all those things to him... at least not that night. God! I am so stupid!

I pulled away from her hug, "you haven't heard anything yet?"

"I was just about to ask you," she looked surprised. "You should be the one answering that. You're best friends and neighbors. You're practically family."

If only she knew how quickly they'd kicked me out of that 'family'.

She noticed my sudden uneasiness and calmly ran her hands up and down my arm. "Don't worry, we'll ask Corey once we see him. It's definitely just a concussion. He'll be fine."

"He better be." A soft but stern voice sounded, leaving me to wonder whether I was now hearing voices in my head.

But then I turned around, and came to eye with Dahlia, Kai's person award-winning school whore.

She was honestly prettier from a distance, I couldn't understand what he ever saw in her...

Well maybe cause what he saw in her was her cunt!

I quickly shrugged off that image and turned to Juliet as she began to speak.

"You do realize you're irrelevant right? Especially to Kai. He's done with you," Juliet spat.

"Well, he still remains very relevant to me, unlike some of us..." she looked me up to down, before raising her chin and walking pass.

I caught my shade alright.

Especially since we barely ever spoke. It was mostly just the occasional 'hi's and 'do you have a scantron?' which only happened in Statistics class the previous school year.

This was all my fault.

~~~

The day ran by so slow. When it was time for lunch, I had never been more relieved.

It meant that my day was almost over.

Sadly, Corey wasn't at school. He had missed it to go check up on Kai and before he could give anymore information, he hung up.