Chapter24/Fries before guys

*Tess' POV*

I walk outside the room searching for all of them. As I stroll down the stairs, a smell of something sweet wafts in air, filling my nostrils and making my stomach grumble audibly. My nose follows the smell as if I were some dog and with each step it only becomes stronger and stronger.

As I reach the living room, I see Isaac's mom whipping something on the kitchen counter "Hi Mrs Tyler do you know where everyone is?" I ask formally. I've searched for them almost everywhere although Isaac's house isn't that big. It's small and comfortable and also very well maintained. The antique stuff decorated here gives a different look to this beautiful house with very stylish wallpapers. Of Course the house is pretty after all his mom is an interior designer.

"Call me Carlen sweety and all of them are outside in the backyard." She says very kindly.

A bowl rests in front of her on the kitchen island, and I go on my tip toes, wanting to see what she's making but due to my petite figure I fail.

"Thank you" I say to her and she opens her mouth to say something "I'm guessing you're his new friend?" She asks sweetly.

"Yep" I say and she smiles at me, then starts stirring the mixture. I'm guessing she's making a cake. I take two steps and I'm pretty close to the counter where the bowl rest. I take a close look at it and it seems like she's making a chocolate cake, since there is chocolate mixture inside the bowl. After contemplating whether I should or should not taste it I decide not to but the urge to taste the deliciously looking batter is killing me.

She opens a drawer below her counter and takes out a spoon. I watch her movements as she takes in the chocolate mixture and holds out the spoon for me. My cheeks flush in embarrassment as I take the spoon from her but shamelessly I insert the spoon in my mouth. "Yum" The word instantly tumbled out after tasting it.

She smiles at me and then pours the batter in a larger bowl.
"You remind me of my elder daughter" I hear her speak while I was concentrating on what she was doing. I love watching people cook I always used to stand beside my mum and watch her. Simultaneously, I rub my eyes a little and life my pupils to stare at hers.

"Isaac has a sister?" I ask, surprise clear in my tone as he never mentioned anything about her.

She sensed my confusion "Had. She was only fifteen when we found out that she had leukaemia." She says and it hits me. I'm pretty sure I saw pictures hanging around the house of a girl next to Isaac but I thought that maybe she was an old friend or something.

"I'm really sorry" I say. She looks like such a strong woman. I wish more of those good qualities would rub off onto me. And then I wouldn't be the complicated person I am.

"It's not your fault. We all have dealt with it and it's the past. But do me a favour don't tell Isaac I told you, he isn't really a kind of kid that likes to share his personal life with anyone" she says and I can't help but agree to her. Isaac is a closed book. He always has been.

Afterwards, I go inside the backyard and see Isaac, Briana, Logan, Blake and Olivia all sitting on the grass. My eyes search for Victoria but I can't find her.

"Where's Victoria?" I ask him.

"She had to run to the mall." He says and continues "Though she said hi"

A part of me is happy that she left but there's this other part who had a little excitement to meet her. I know it's stupid but I want to know how she's doing I mean we went from talking every day to not talking for one whole year, now that's an achievement but anyways I've put all of it finally behind me and how long will I hold this grudge? And the more important question is that is she even worth holding one? Though I'm a little disappointed that this was the only chance she had to meet me and to find out how I was doing but she never bothered.