FORTY-TWO; HALF A HEART

GOAL: 10 COMMENTS THAT DO NOT SAY "UPDATE!"

FORTY-TWO; HALF A HEART (S3E17)

~

Alaric was lying down on an MRI couch, about to go into the MRI scanner. Elena, Meredith, and Estella stood the control room, preparing to scan Alaric. Elena looked nervous, Estella bored, and Meredith focused.

"What are you looking for?" Elena asked Meredith.

"I don't know. A tumor, vascular anomalies, anything physical that might explain his behavior," Meredith explained. "If it's medical, I can treat it."

"And if it's not?" Estella asked, turning her head so she could look at the doctor.

"Well, then we'll deal with that too," Meredith replied vaguely.

"When did you suspect him?" Elena questioned, watching Alaric slide into the machine. "That it was Alaric who was killing all of those people?"

"It was after he told me about his ring. I remembered a story my grandmother had told me about Samantha Gilbert and her secret journal," Meredith informed. "I don't know if you know this, but we Fells are notorious busy-bodies."

"But then, why did you protect him?" Elena inquired.

"Because I'm a doctor, I don't like to see someone hurt by something they have no control over," Meredith replied. "And because when he and I first met I felt like...I don't know, I- I just kind of want to help him."

Estella noticed his heart rate pick up, making her frown. She tapped Meredith to show her the monitor--this made Meredith concerned.

"Everything alright in there?" Meredith asked him over the speaker.

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's okay," Alaric responded.

After the scan, Alaric is in a regular hospital room getting ready to leave. Elena and Estella walked, the blonde carrying a coffee for the teacher. She handed it to him before tapping it with her own, flashing him a smirk.

"Meredith says that everything is normal," Elena stated with a sad look.

"Yeah, well, everything is normal, because there is nothing wrong with me," Alaric argued. "I didn't kill Brian Walters, I didn't kill Bill Forbes, and I sure as hell didn't shove a hunting knife into my stomach."

Alaric looked down at the ring, it being the only thing he hasn't picked up yet. He looked conflicted.

"Or I did and I've gone insane, just like your ancestor who wore that ring," Alaric muttered.

"Look, I'm gonna call Bonnie, the rings were made by a Bennett witch so maybe a witch can reverse the damage," Elena suggested.

He slid the ring towards Elena with a defeated look on his face.

"Take it. I don't want it any more," Alaric said.

Elena took the ring, slipping it in her pocket. Damon entered the room, looking around before his eyes landed on Estella, Elena, and Alaric.

"You ready to ditch this House of Horrors?" Damon asked them. He looked at Alaric. "Oof, you look terrible."

"Yeah, let me...let me check outta here," Alaric said to him and left. Elena gave Damon a hateful glare before following Alaric out.

Estella raised an eyebrow at him. Damon scowled and pointed at her.

"Don't give me that look," Damon snapped at her.