« 14. The Story That Followed After »

»»»»»»

"When I go to prom—"

"If you go to prom."

Adrianna sent a quick glare towards Arnelle, who had been flipping through a magazine and drinking some Coca-Cola.

"Come on, Adrianna. For one, you're in eighth grade—those are barely memorable unless your going for a kiss, or something much more." She started as she continued to flip through the magazine. "Second, prom sucks, don't fret about it."

Adrianna crossed her arms over her chest as she frowned at her. "What do you know about prom? You were homeschooled your whole life."

"Don't get too specific, hun. I haven't graduated high school, yet." Arnelle said as she sent her a lazy gaze. "Plus, I chose to stay this route."

Adrianna rolled her eyes and she got up from her seat to go sit down next to Arnelle, who looked at her questioningly.

"As I was saying," she started as a smile quickly grew on her face, "when I go to prom, I want a beautiful gold dress—I heard they're going for a masquerade theme—"

"That theme was overused when I was in high school." Amanda said as she entered the room. She ruffled Arnelle's hair and bent over to kiss Adrianna's forehead.

"Was that the same theme for this pack?"

"Well, I wouldnt know." Amanda responded with a shrug of her shoulders. She sat down on the couch across from them and made herself comfortable.

"Why? Did you miss prom?" Adrianna prodded as she propped her head onto the palm of her hand.

Amanda let out a long laugh. "Oh trust me," she started as she sobered up, "I went to prom. So did both of your mother's, but we're not from here. We're from Vermont—Rutland, to be more specific."

"So, how did you meet—how did you all meet them?" Adrianna asked, tilting her head sideways. Arnelle even closed the magazine in her hand and placed it behind her. "And how was prom for you guys? Was it magical?"

Arnelle rolled her eyes, and Amanda smiled widely. Before she could answer the question, Janice bursted into the living room with a paper held high in the air and a huge smile on her face.

"Guess what? Guess what? I got accepted! And I'm graduating as valedictorian!" She boasted as she handed the paper to her mother, who had a look of pride on her face.

"Congratulations, Janice! I knew you could do it!" Adrianna said as she let out a squeal. She jumped up to hug her and they both jumped up and down in happiness.

"Yes, Janice. Congratulations on the things we already knew were going to happen." Arnelle said as she went to grab the magazine. Before she could, Janice had jumped on top of her and hugged her tightly.

"Thank you, Arnelle! I'm so happy." Janice let out as she squealed again.

Arnelle chuckled and patted her on the back. "Come on, Janice. You know three different languages, help me do my work, and literally participate in every school event. It was practically handed to you."

"Ok, ok! Janice, come on! Your mother was about to tell us about prom—which you are going to, right?" Adrianna asked as she pulled Janice off of Arnelle and sat her down.