• 34. The Story That Followed After •

§§§§

"I'm not liking this." Liana heard from below her. She looked down and saw the top of Dominic's brown hair. He had been laying against the tree she had been on, with his hands in his pockets.

"I understand where you come from, why you act like this. . . I know it's not easy to trust anybody, especially in a new surrounding, or with the whole 'mom' situation..." he trailed off and looked up at her and she had looked away. It was those brown eyes of his, she knew her mate pull wasn't as strong as it would be when she turned eighteen... but it was becoming evident that she would definitely regret it if she stayed longer.

But, she couldn't leave. He refused to let her... and a part of her wanted to stay as well.

"I just," he paused to sigh, and stepped away from the tree, then turned around to look at her fully, "I wish you could see it from my point of view, Liana. Why can't you just accept the fact that we can fight your mother together?"

"That's my own fight, Dominic." She blurted out. His cheeks slightly reddened at the mention of his name—it had been the first time his name rolled off her tongue, and even if it was in a nervous manner, it still sounded very nice.

"W... Well," he shook himself into dull consciousness. Back to the serious conversation. "Liana, as much as I hate, well not really, to break it to you, your mother is our fight as well." He wanted to jump onto the branch and hold her closely. He needed to touch her, as creepy as that sounded.

"So, even if she happens to cross among that border, she's going to get taken down. Marianne is an enemy to us, and the neighboring packs." He explained to her, his voice a little soft. Sure, Marianne was a subject one couldn't take so lightly, but his mate was the daughter to one of the most hated huntress' in history.

He saw her swallow a lump down her throat, glance at him a couple of times, and fold her hands together. A faint, pensive look had been on her face, and Dominic wondered whether she was thinking about actually staying with him and fighting together.

"What is a warrior wolf, Dominic? Why are you one? I never heard of that before." She had asked after a pregnant silence. She wanted to steer away from the conversation about her mother—he'd never stop talking about it, and it pained her to talk about going against her mother, someone she had never shared an intimate moment with, even though she still loved her as one.

Her want for survival, however, was much stronger. And her curiosity with Dominic, and the type of person he was, was also eating away at her.

His eyes slightly widened and he fought the little smile that wanted to stay on his face. "Well," he began, stuffing his hands into his pockets, "what I am is in the name. My wolf has the spirit of someone who was a warrior wolf, it's not something that I'm born with, it's something I'm given. I'm bigger, stronger, faster. My sole purpose is to fight and kill vampires—I mean, I can still fight other things, but my original foe is the vampire at the end of the day. Hunters and rogues are like 'lunch' to me."

He leaned against the tree bark and crossed his arms over his chest. "As to why I am one, I don't really know. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm going to become a Super Alpha? Maybe my mother's prayer to the Moon Goddess was very strong... I mean, shit. I just, don't know."

Liana scrunched her eyebrows together and tilted her head sideways. "A 'Super Alpha'?" She had whispered out. His head snapped up and he gave her a small smile.

"Yup. I'll basically be superior to anybody in all of North America." He answered, a proud look on his face. In an even more proud tone, he said, "And I'll have my strong and quick-witted mate right next to me."