- 12 -

I open up Facebook and see that Melissa answered me. She was also online, so we began chatting back and forth.

Melissa: Not really, but you look exactly like me in your picture so I figured you’re my twin, haha :)’

Me: I am :) Have you met our mother before?’

Melissa: ‘Nope. I looked her up though. She’s some drug addict and alcoholic from Cheshire.’

I didn’t know she lived so close to here. I still don’t even know her name.

Me: ‘I haven’t met her either. A friend of mine looked her up for me and went to visit her without telling me. She told him that I had a twin sister, so I looked you up.’

Melissa: ‘That’s crazy. I never knew I had a twin. This is actually really cool(:’

Me: ‘I know!(: haha are you in foster care?’

Melissa: ‘Yeah. Seven homes in the past seventeen years. What about you?’

Me: ‘Yup. Where I’m at now is my fifteenth. I just moved a few weeks ago.’

Melissa: ‘That’s crazy. And I thought my life sucked :P Where are you staying now?’

Me: ‘Not far from our mother apparently. I’m in Holmes Chapel in Cheshire. What about you?’

Melissa: ‘Manchester. About twenty miles away.’

Me: ‘That’s not too far.’

Melissa: ‘Yeah, I know. Do you have a Skype?’

I gave her my username and a moment later I had a new contact request. I bite my lip in excitement and accept it. Seconds later I call her and a face just like mine appears on the screen.

“Oh my God,” we both say at the same time.

“This is insane,” I mutter.

“Tell me about it,” she adds, smiling.

From that point we talked nonstop. Almost every single day I found time to Skype with Melissa. Soon enough we knew each other pretty well. She explained to me everything about her life, and I told her everything about mine. We bonded over past foster care experiences. We were completely different in a similar way, if that makes any sense at all.

 I wish I’d met her sooner.

“I should probably go,” I say. By now it’s been almost two weeks since we first started talking.