- 55 -

***Harry’s Point of View***

“Hey!” Ed shouts across the room as the lads and I enter. Judging by the beer in his hand, I assumed he was already a bit tipsy.

“Hey, happy birthday man,” I say. The lads all utter similar greetings.

“Thanks guys! Agh it’s been a while since I been to a party like this.”

“Kind of late too,” I point out. “Your birthday was two months ago.”

“Your point is?”

I smile and roll my eyes. “Never mind.”

And then Ed was whisked off by another guest. The boys dispersed, and I lost most of them. I stood there alone.

And that’s when I saw her.

She stood across the room in a gorgeous red dress that reminded me of the one she wore during Simon’s surprise party. Her hair was down in beautiful blonde curls, and she appeared lost. Alone, just like me.

She seemed to have spotted me just at the right moment. Our eyes locked, and she looked stuck. Frozen. Like she wanted to come talk to me, but also didn’t. She smiled shyly and walked over while I avoided her gaze.

“Hi,” she says awkwardly.

“How’s the boyfriend?”

She bit her lip, hesitating a moment before answering. “I don’t have one actually. I broke up with him the day after you found out.”

“That’s a shame. You went from having two to none. That’s got to be hard for you.”

“Harry,” she says, frowning. “I said I was sorry, and I understand if you still don’t forgive me. But I’m trying here. The sarcasm is not appreciated.”

I sigh and roll my eyes. “Alright. I’m sorry.”

“Thank you. So…how have you been?”

“I don’t know,” I shrug.

“Well that doesn’t sound good.”

“It’s not,” I assure her. She looked guilty. “What about you? What’s it been like in your world?”

“Alright I guess. I’m officially adopted now,” she tells me with a small smile.

“That’s great news.”

“Yeah.”

Awkward silence.

“So I ran into Melissa,” she adds. “At a concert. The day you came home actually.”