- 51 -

“Nicole’s boyfriend,” I repeat slowly. Adam nods as if he’s talking to a mentally challenged person.

“Yeah. And you are?”

“I’m Harry fucking Styles,” I state dryly. I didn’t wait to see his reaction as I pushed past him to the door. I slammed it shut behind me, probably awakening the whole house. Nicole stood in the kitchen entry way, looking curiously to see what the big noise was.

“Harry,” she gasps. “You’re….you’re back.”

I didn’t say a single word.

“Harry, oh my gosh,” she says, rushing over to me. It’s like it actually hit her that I was physically standing there after a long two months of separation. She hugged me close, but I didn’t react. “What’s wrong?” she asks oh-so-innocently.

“I ran into Adam,” I say with absolutely no emotion in my voice. Her entire frontage changed, and she seemed speechless. “I never thought in a million years you would do this to me.”

“I am…so sorry,” she pleads. She sounded sincere, but I couldn’t believe it.

“You said you weren’t going anywhere,” I remind her, my voice slightly raised. “You said we could handle this.”

“I thought we could,” she defends. “I thought I could. But I was wrong. I made a mistake, Harry. You’ve made plenty, I’ve made plenty, everyone makes mistakes! You’re the one who decided to leave for five months without warning me in the first place!”

“I offered to come home!”

“And what was I supposed to do?! Agree? Say ‘oh, yeah, sure, abandon all your fans!’ What kind of girlfriend would I be if I supported that?!”

“That’s what you’re concerned about?! You’re concerned about being a bad girlfriend but have absolutely no problem deceiving me?!”

“Look,” she says, more sternly than I anticipated. “You have your distractions. I have mine. When you left, it was hard on me, okay? Harder than you will ever be able to imagine! I was alone and depressed and I didn’t know what to do. I needed someone there for me. I needed something to make all of this real! It didn’t feel real when you were in some other country, and you can’t stand here and claim that it did.”

“You are just like Melissa,” I realize, my eyes beginning to water. “You and your sister are the same exact fucking person and I can’t believe I was so blind to it for this long.”

“Harry,” she says softly, attempting to grab my hand. I backed away. “I’m sorry. I am so sorry. If I could go back, I would undo all of this. It was never my intention to hurt you.”

“Yeah,” I say, shaking my head. “Well you did.”

Tears were streaming down her face. I wanted to forgive her. I really did, but I couldn’t. Not this time.

“Can you at least answer me one thing?” I ask. “How long?”

She shuts her eyes and faces the floor. “A month,” she admits.

A month. An entire month that I believed things were going smoothly. An entire month that I’ve been oblivious to this treachery that’s been occurring behind my back. An entire fucking month.

I had no words left to say to her, so I remained silent as I turned my back on Nicole.

***Nicole’s Point of View***

“Harry,” I say, my voice trembling. He stopped and glanced at me, but didn’t seem interested in listening. I didn’t even know what I was about to say. I could ask for forgiveness, but what good would that do? If I were in his shoes I would leave and never look back. So instead, I just told him what I was thinking. “I love you.”

He didn’t respond as he continued out of my room. He walked down the stairs and out the front door. Gone. Lost. There goes the one boy I’ve been through so much with. Together it seemed that we could overcome every obstacle, no matter how challenging. And here we are. Separated for good.

I didn’t get to tell him about Melissa. I didn’t get to tell him why I even stayed with Adam in the first place. I didn’t get to rationalize a lot of things, but as I sat there alone in my bedroom I began wondering if it would’ve even made a difference.

“What is going on?” Jamie asks, wrapping herself in her robe as she appeared at the top of the steps. My lip quivered and the tears spilled over my eyes as she came down and hugged me. She didn’t even know what was wrong, but she comforted me.

“Harry came home,” I sob. “And he ran into Adam. And now he’s gone.”

I expected her to tell me how she was right the whole time. I expected her to give me a lecture about how she knew I loved Harry the most all along. About how we’re meant to be. About how I shouldn’t have been so stupid as to risk losing him.

But she didn’t.

She just said, “Love is a demanding thing, darling.”

And that was that. I cried until I had no tears left, and then she told me to get some sleep. Just like Adam did. Except this time, my heart was ten times more broken than before.

AUTHORS NOTE

so just to let you you I have finished writing out the rest of the story :) There will be 57 total chapters and an Epilogue. I wrote them ahead of time because I wanted them to be perfect and they took a lot of planning haha anywhore, let me know what you think of this chapter. Nicole is alone :p WHAT DO YOU THINK WILL HAPPEN? HMM? oh my gosh im so excited for you to find out c: oh and i highly recommend yall check out the song on the side (Paper Hearts by Tori Kelly) because its relative and she is the bomb diggity and I ship her with ed okay bye, Thank you for reading<3 ily x