- 40 -

“So you’ll never see him again?” Molly asks me in a sorry tone. I could just picture her face right now. Full of sadness.

“Not until my birthday. You know how the system is. By that point he’ll probably forget about me anyway so I mean-“

“Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold the fuck up. Harry forgetting you? You’ve got to be kidding me. You’re joking right? Please tell me you are.”

“Seven months is a long time,” I reason, switching the phone to my other ear.

“Hun, when you fall in love with someone you don’t just forget about them in seven months.”

“And who ever said Harry was in love with me?” I ask.

“It’s not rocket science Nic,” she states slowly. I roll my eyes.

“Well whatever. Either way things won’t be the same by the time this all gets figured out.”

“It’s better than nothing.”

I sigh as Bridget pokes her head into my room just as she had the other day. She was waiting for me to get off the phone. I guess she had something to tell me.

“I have to go Molly,” I say. “I’ll call you later.”

“Okay, bye.”

I pressed end and looked to Bridget.

“Jamie’s here again,” she tells me.

I cock my head to the side in confusion. Jamie? But she was just here the other day when I went to see Harry at her house. What news could she possibly have since then? Nonetheless, I follow Bridget through the corridors to the front door by which Jamie was standing. She looked excited and in a good mood. I smiled when she saw me.

“Hey,” I say as Bridget walks away leaving us to talk. “What’s up?” She opens the door and pulls me outside with her. I guess so no one would eavesdrop on our conversation. She looked like she could hardly contain her excitement as she spoke.

“I found a loophole,” she says, smiling wide with a grin that stretched ear to ear. I smile too as I realize what she meant.

“Oh my gosh,” I mutter. “No way! What is it?!”

“Adoption!”

My smile faded and just about every ounce of excitement I previously had vanished.

“If it were that easy I would have taken that route years ago,” I mumble. “I’m almost eighteen, Jamie. No one wants to adopt me.”

“What if I told you I found someone who does?” she asks, elbowing me gently. I perk up.

“Who?”

“A single woman. Very nice and caring. I really think she’ll be an incredible mother.” I smile as she describes her. “She’s very wise and knowledgeable. I’m almost a hundred percent positive you’ll love her. And she lives in town.”

“What does she do?” I ask.

“She’s a caseworker,” she says with a knowing smile, observing my face for a reaction. My eyes widen and I wrap Jamie in a bear hug.

“Oh my god,” I mutter over and over again. “Thank you so much! Oh my gosh, Jamie! I love you! You're incredible.”

She laughs and hugs me back. “I just can’t believe I didn’t think of this sooner.”

“You’re the best,” I tell her as a tear of joy rolls down my face. I wipe it away and look at her with a huge smile on my face. “How much longer will I be here?”

“I just have to talk with the adoption agency about it and you’ll be set to live with me while the adoption is finalized. Sort of like a trial run before the final papers are signed.”

“I can’t believe this!” I squeal. “I’m getting adopted!” I never thought I would say those words.

I’m getting adopted

AUTHORS NOTE
so this chapter is short, but I thought nicole could use some happiness in her life ^_^ let me know what you think!! theres some stuff coming up that you are in no way prepared for. i can't wait xD NOW THEY CAN BE TOGETHER BECAUSE SHES ADOPTED RIGHT?!?!!? :) THIS IS SO AMAZING hehehehehee >:) love you, thanks for reading, start emotionally preparing yourself for the upcoming chapters BYEE xx