- 58 -

"I need to see her," I cry, tears pouring down my face. "I need to see that she's okay!"

"Sir, we are doing all that we can. We are not accepting visitors at this time," says the nurse.

"You don't understand," I sob. "I need to see her. She has to be okay."

"I'm going to have to ask you to calm down or you will be removed from our waiting room."

I ball up my hands into fists and begrudgingly sit down next to Melissa. I put my head in my hands, gripping my hair.

"I'm so sorry," Melissa tells me. Even she had tears in her eyes surprisingly.

"Are you?! Are you really sorry Melissa?! We're only here because of you! All of this is because of you!"

"How was I supposed to know they would give me a trial? Foster kids never get treated fairly. Our file is who we are to the system. I assumed that once the police saw everything I would just get thrown into juvie. I doubt they'll listen to my side of the story anyway-"

"Good! You deserve to get thrown into prison! You're a terrible person, and I can't fucking believe Nicole ever risked her life like that to save your ass!"

That seemed to silence her, but I couldn't think straight. Nicole was injured. For all I know, her condition could be terminal. No one was telling me anything. All I wanted were some answers, but no one was willing to offer any up.

"I might lose her," I realized aloud, speaking more to myself than to anyone else.

I didn't care about anything else at that point. I didn't care that Melissa had caused it all. I didn't care that whatever was going on between me and Nicole was extremely fucked up in all ways. I didn't care about anything. All I wanted was for her to be okay. I guess that's what happens when you truly love someone. They're all you can think about. They're all that matters. And once they're gone, you feel empty. Like you have nothing left.

"Are you okay?" Melissa asks me in a quiet, shy voice. She clearly didn't want to set me off again. "Harry?"

"No," I tell her. "I'm not okay. I'm definitely not okay."

I kept my eyes on the doorway the nurse had left through. It probably led to a hallway with tons of rooms. One of which could contain Nicole.

"I have to see her," I choke out.

"Harry..."

"I have to know if she's okay."

I get up and walk to the doorway as Melissa protests from behind me.

"Sir," says the lady at the desk. "Sir you can't go through there-"

She was cut off by the sound of the door shutting behind me. Tears were still in my eyes, and my hair was no doubt a disaster. I was an emotional wreck and probably looked like one to the people around me. If not, they most likely assumed I had wandered from the mental health wing of the hospital.

"I have to see her," I mutter to myself, walking down the hall and peering into the rooms. I heard noise coming from one of the farther rooms, so I followed the sound until I came to a closed door.

Closed, so I couldn't see inside.

I twisted the handle just as a security guard broke through the door at the end of the hall. He had a mean look on his face and was headed straight for me.

I knew what this meant. I was in trouble. Most people would bolt, but I didn't. Because all that mattered to me at that moment was Nicole.

I pushed open the door to reveal a team of doctors huddled around the bed placed in the center of the room. I could hardly see past their heads, but I caught a glimpse just as I felt a strong hand on my arm. The guard pulled me out forcefully, telling me off about how I had disregarded the rules, but I didn't care.

Because I had seen Nicole.

Lying there lifelessly on the hospital bed.

And that is an image that will probably never leave my head.

AUTHORS NOTE
I CANT END IT. NOT YET. Oh my gosh I am dragging this out so much. Who knows? I might even add more to the plot. GUYS I LEGIT CANNOT PART WITH THIS STORY. please let me know what you think, or what i should do! AAGBDJBSG i hate ending things. thank you so much for reading! You guys are the absolute best! :) love you so much x