77.

I woke up from another horrifying nightmarish sleep. Anakin was in the chair beside me. He was also asleep. The children were laying in a medicated daze. They were weak, I could feel it.

"Anakin.." I shook his leg, feeling the soreness of my belly as I stretched, "Anakin, wake up."

He didn't budge. Usually in this case I would kiss him awake. But I really didn't want to get out of the bed at the moment. So instead I pushed his chair foreword using the force. The abrupt motion startled him awake.

"I know you want to be close to me," he yawned, "but at least make sure I'm awake."

"Ha-Ha. You're so funny." I rolled my eyes. He moved a strand of my hair out of my face.

"How are you feeling?" He asked.

"Better. It's not that painful now, just sore." I explain, "Did they say how long until I'm able to get up again?"

"(Y/N), you just had 2 children yesterday.. Is getting up that quick a good idea?" He rose his eyebrows in concern, I groaned as I began to sit up.

"I don't want to, but I have to. Being gone this long is suspicious. They don't know-"

"They know." He cut me off.

"They know?"

"They know."

"They know what?" I asked for clarification.

"Well, when you were sleeping off the medications and after the babies were born Master Windu came looking for us." He told me, "Padmé had distracted them for a while outside but he knows we're here. I'm sure he felt us like how we felt him. And theres not a lot of things we can be doing in a delivery room."

I sat there for a moment touching the stitches on my stomach. I took a deep breath in, I thought I was ready for this moment but I really wasn't. Anakin and I were about to be shamed by the entire Jedi Order, and our children might not live through it. I had lost my ability to breathe.

"We're going to be okay." He grabbed my shoulder to try and put me back down but I refused.

"No, we aren't, Anakin." I stood up and got my robes. I was grateful for the c-section now as if gave natural birth my legs would be too weak to move for days.

"I'm going with you." Anakin stood.

"No, you're not. You have to stay here with the babies." I pointed to their cribs, "We're parents now, we can't leave them unattended."

"What are you even going to tell them? Maybe I should go instead and you stay?" He asked, trying to convince me to stay, "You shouldn't go there alone."

"I know that, but there's something that's very important that they need to know before it's too late." I rushed.

"What is it?" He asked, concerned.

He grabbed my arm to keep me here. I was conflicted on whether I should tell him or not. Or whether I should tell anyone. I needed time. I just knew I couldn't do anything stuck in this delivery room.

"(Y/N), you haven't even held your children yet." He pleaded. I loosened my shoulders. He let go of my arm as I walked over to their cribs.

Both of them were asleep, tubes feeding them oxygen and another one giving them nutrition in their incubated cells.

"I can't." I whispered touching the glass that sealed them away from me. Already little signs were hung below their glass and I saw little Luke and Leia.

"I can ask a droid to go open-" he started but I stopped him.

"There will be plenty of time for me to hold them after I make sure they're safe." I said, holding my gaze on my beautiful children.

"(Y/N), they are safe." He told me, but I shook my head. I knew better than that.

"No, they aren't. I know you don't believe me but I have a way to make sure they're safe and that you'll be safe." I told him.

"(Y/N), last time I checked I'm a Jedi too, I don't need saving." He said, but he didn't understand. He didn't know what I knew. Compared to me his mind was untouched, he was the Jedi superstar and I was everything they "shouldn't" be.

"Anakin, I've learned things in the last few days that I never thought were possible. I know you're strong, but I've found information that the Jedi are the ones continuing this war." I said sadly.

"What are you talking about? You know just as well as I do that the war is all defense. You're sounding like a Separatist" He crossed his arms.

"I know that, but the Separatists and the Republic filed for a peace treaty but the Jedi refused to sign it. They don't want peace, they want power. You know the Order is not what it used to be. Something has been off. This whole war has been ridiculous fight for power, it isn't about the people at all like we thought. This standard that they've been putting on us, on you, has been ridiculous they won't even practice their own teachings." I pleaded for him to believe me.

"You're not thinking straight, (Y/N), this is your own Master your talking about." He said,

"He wasn't always my Master." I lowered my head, not even my own husband believes me, and I hadn't even told him the biggest piece of the puzzle.

"I'm sorry. But what does it matter now, anyway? We're leaving the Order, (Y/N). All that matters right now is how we feel about each other. Isn't that enough?" He grabbed my sides.

"It is enough, but I don't want to leave without making sure I passed on all I could. I want to help the Jedi, even if I don't fully believe in them now. The Republic is in danger, I need them to stop it. I already have too many regrets about my life as a Jedi, please let me do this. Even if they don't believe the evidence I'm bringing them. I need to do this."  I begged him.

"Quickly. Don't be gone for too long. I'm telling the droids you're in the bathroom." He said. I reached up to his face and kissed him. I was about to do things I never thought I would do. If something went wrong I needed him to be remembered on my lips.

I could only imagine where I'd be if I hadn't met him. This only light in my life of constant fear and apprehension. I had lost too many people in my life to lose him or my children now.

For the good of our children I needed to do something to get the Chancellor out of office. I loved the Republic, but the system I thought we were, we aren't anymore. I needed him arrested, but not dead. I needed to learn from him enough with out falling completely, for him. I would do what was best for everyone.

The Separatists and the Republic were both inefficient in my mind, and I know Anakin thought the same. Something different needed to happen. Something that would include the needs of the people I meet on foreign worlds with my troops and would protect my children.

I could help with that..

Palpatine came into my head again. I shook my head to get him out. I know I agreed to him in labor, but there was no binding contract. I had not pledged myself yet. Theres still time. I can convince the council I'm being honest. I can convince them that Anakin isn't at fault. I can do more.

I just needed time.